Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 07-27-2005, 09:21 AM

Default Loose blind call?

Note the depth of the stacks as compared to Party. I feel like I have a decent chance to double through MP (or stack Button maybe) if I flop well.

PokerRoom $20+$2 (real money), hand #1,106,077,504

Seat 1: MP ($5,125 in chips)
Seat 3: Button ($2,800 in chips)
Seat 4: SB ($1,780 in chips)
Seat 6: Hero ($3,935 in chips)
Seat 7: UTG ($1,360 in chips)

Hero is BB with 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

ANTES/BLINDS
SB posts blind ($50), Hero posts blind ($100).

PRE-FLOP
1 fold, MP bets $250, Button calls $250, 1 fold, Hero calls $150.
Old 07-27-2005, 09:28 AM

Default Re: Loose blind call?

You have the $$ - I'd do the same. Of course post-flop gets a little sticky. Given a favorable flop (TP or flush draw..maybe OESD), I would probably make this my one and only stand (3/4 pot'ish). I would be slowing down w/ a call & lack of improvement on the turn (or a raise from behind on the flop) -- retaining 3k for the bubble.
Old 07-27-2005, 10:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You have the $$ - I'd do the same. Of course post-flop gets a little sticky. Given a favorable flop (TP or flush draw..maybe OESD), I would probably make this my one and only stand (3/4 pot'ish). I would be slowing down w/ a call & lack of improvement on the turn (or a raise from behind on the flop) -- retaining 3k for the bubble.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea, that's what I thought just making sure.
Old 07-27-2005, 10:08 AM

I think it's fine to call for odds as long as it isn't for a significant % of your stack.
Old 07-27-2005, 10:12 AM

i'd fold here. but i'm kind of a wuss about defending my blind.

flopping an oesd of flush draw is nice and all, but it's not that nice. are you going to lead out with it? c/r a-i? somebody's probably going to make a bet you don't want to flat call. and it happens pretty rarely (i don't remember the odds - something 11% for flush draw and i'm sure much lower for oesd?)

what's your plan with top pair? you can't feel comfortable stacking off.

i think you're paying too much to have a chance at what is at best a moderately profitable situation.
Old 07-27-2005, 10:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
c/r a-i?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes; if I flop a monster or it checks around and I turn a monster I can win a lot of chips. If I flop the draw I can c/r allin and because the stacks are so deep my opponents are going to be loathe to call short of the nuts.

[ QUOTE ]

what's your plan with top pair? you can't feel comfortable stacking off.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a much trickier situation. Depending on my opponents, I will either bet/fold (against tight solids), bet/call (against maniacs), check/call (against opponents who will bet with air but not call with it), or check/raise (against opponents who aren't afraid of a bet and will play aggro if checked to). The annoying thing about betting out with top pair Qs in this situation is what do you do if you bet and get called.