Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-15-2005, 06:44 AM

Default EP Raises scaring people off at 0.02/0.04 limits

I am just working my way though SSH and playing the 0.02/0.04 limits on Stars.

The games are loose and generally passive.

What I am sometime finding is that when I raise a monster UTG, it scares most (SB/BB aside) into folding.

I know raising UTG with a great starting hand is the thing to do, but in the scenarios how much value I am really getting if 80% of oppenents fold. Would I be better limping and hope a few other limp behind? And even better limp and hope a LP opponent raises so I can then reraise? ie. get people to limp in and commit some cash and then hope someone in LP bumps it up so I can extract some more into the pot.

Advice much appreciated.

Regards,
Ian
Old 12-15-2005, 12:09 PM

Default Re: EP Raises scaring people off at 0.02/0.04 limits

Wow. That's a very atypical micro-limit game.

Often, in micro-limit hold 'em, people will cold call two bets almost as loosely as they do one bet, with 10 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], and other -EV hands.
Old 12-15-2005, 12:18 PM

Stars micros are tighter than most sites, but I find that overall I'm getting more out of people coldcalling than I would from letting them limp.
Old 12-15-2005, 12:28 PM

Mason Malmuth has an essay where he talks about how to play aces UTG. He discussed this, I think (I don't have the book handy), with Mike Caro. Caro advocating limping with aces to get maximum players in.

In the end Mason basically reasons that it doesn't really matter what you do with aces UTG since you will so rarely get ace UTG that either way to play will not be a mistake.

My point is, don't worry about it. Raise them usually. Sometimes limp and hope for a chance to rereaise. Either way, in the long run, it's not going to make any difference.

Big pairs play well against many or few opponents. So, try adapting your plays to the table texture and see what happens.

Regards,

T
Old 12-15-2005, 02:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Big pairs play well against many or few opponents.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's certainly true of AA, but less so as you go down the food chain. My understanding: "conventional wisdom" says one reason to raise with KK or QQ is to avoid losing to ace-bad kicker who might limp in and catch an ace on the flop.

At micros Axo is going to cold call two bets anyway, so thinning the field is less realistic. You're mostly just raising for value with the best hand preflop, and changing Axo to draw at a dominated three-out hand.
Old 12-15-2005, 02:13 PM

Even with the random aces in the hand, your equity with non-AA large pairs is better than your fair share, so letting those hands in is fine, I think. In the long run. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Painful now of course.

Regards,

T
Old 12-15-2005, 03:21 PM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

Simple. Raise more hands preflop.

b
Old 12-15-2005, 07:23 PM

Just using AA as an example UTG.

If you raise the callers you get will often hold hands you dominate.
Pocket pairs and if you are lucky AK or AQ. The blinds will have to pay to play.

When you limp it can be easy to lose control of the hand.
Old 12-15-2005, 07:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When you limp it can be easy to lose control of the hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's an interesting way to put it. I suppose that in ultra-loose games I never feel like I have control of the hand. To use Ed Miller's brilliant simile, it's like I can sweep the ice furiously but I'm not going to make that damn curling stone move very fast in the right direction!
Old 12-15-2005, 07:56 PM

i went through the same: stars and paradise at 2c/4c, then up a notch and up a notch

If you raise AA UTG at 2c/4c and the flop is 2/3 handed, I think you've made a mistake. I would suggest leaving and finding a softer table. Players here play looser tables at $5/$10!

When I raise UTG, i often see the guy to my left a few seats 3 betting it, and two/three other players cold calling, along with the blinds. Then i cap it!! It's insane!

ENJOY THE MICROS!!
felipe