Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-15-2005, 05:19 AM

Default AJo question

Hero has AJo
There are 2 fishes and maybe 1 player who doesn't play well limping. You are in LP and the players behind you respect your raises. Do you raise this against fishy players who tend to play many hands and go too to far with their hands? What about if you are in SB or BB? Only loosepassive players have entered the pot (maybe 2-4).
Thanks.
Old 12-15-2005, 05:21 AM

Default Re: AJo question

I would likely raise here in order to get the button and for value. AJo hates multiway, bloated pots, but 3 "fishy" limpers is still few enough (and bad enough) to make me want to raise.

Very different if I'm in the blinds however.
Old 12-15-2005, 05:23 AM

Defintely, without question, raise it every time in LP with loose limpers ahead of you. If I know the whole table's loose passive, I'll raise it in EP too.
Old 12-15-2005, 05:35 AM

First situation is a raise every time. You need secure your position against these bad players and take the lead with a hand that is likely best.

I don't like to raise w/AJo in the blinds. AJo OOP in a multiway pot gives me nausea. The only time I raise in the blinds is when I'm reraising a possible late position steal from the small blind. AJs I'll raise sometimes to build a big pot, as this hand plays better in a big multi-way pot.
Old 12-15-2005, 07:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't like to raise w/AJo in the blinds. AJo OOP in a multiway pot gives me nausea.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Very different if I'm in the blinds however.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 12-15-2005, 08:15 AM

Okay I asked this because I've done some raising from the blinds and wasn't sure if it's good. I thought it could be wrong because I'm not too expert player and can't play so good that I could play this hand OOP [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img].
Old 12-15-2005, 09:13 AM

Raise 100% of the time with the reads given. Beat them with post-flop play.

BB-SB is very read dependent. In my experience, AJo OOP is a very hard hand to play. I usually complete/check and evaluate the flop. Per SSE - AJo is a big card/big pair good kicker hand.
Old 12-15-2005, 11:25 AM

I'll usually raise AJo out the blinds under following conditions.
If I'm the SB with one limper.
I'm the BB with one limper and the SB completing.
Two limpers and I'm completing from the small or checking the big.

With one limper situation one of the following things usually happens. An early position player limps with an ace rag and you have him dominated. If you raise from the SB you usually get heads up in a dominating position or force BB to put in more with a weaker hand. You usually have a pretty strong hand against one late position limper too. If you're the SB in that situation you can get it HU again. If you're the BB and the SB completes, he'll usually be doing that with a very wide range so you're getting EV.

However, once their are two limpers the hand is too hard to play OOP. You should just complete or check unless you feel very confident that you can outplay your opponents postflop.
Old 12-15-2005, 12:57 PM

grunch,

for me this is an easy raise in LP. In the SB and BB, with 2-4 LPP, I almost always raise.
Old 12-15-2005, 01:18 PM

AQ and AK i raise in the blinds. AJ i chk/call, but raise in Middle and Late positions. I treat KQo the same, but not KJ, or AT, which do not have as much high card strength. At really low limits I see extremely passive opponents limping in LP with AQ and AK so I don't like to raise in the blinds (out of position). But like another poster commented, I too would raise in early position. I think in some cases raising or chk/calling in the blinds is close - other times it isn't.