Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits

Old 12-08-2005, 03:05 AM

Default Re: Why am I getting creamed at these games?

[ QUOTE ]
Another hand I get pocket Jacks and I raise with them. I of course get plenty of company, four calls. Flop comes all clubs with a Queen. I have the Jc so I'm not completely screwed. I bet, and everyone calls. Turn comes the ace of spades. I bet again (probably foolishly, but I figure maybe since the betting goes up I can get people to drop out of the hand). I get check-raised and I know I'm behind. I call hoping for a flush on the river or the 3rd jack. The other 3 people drop out btw. River comes 9h and the remaining player bets. I type in the chat "I'm not paying off an ace" and I fold. I don't care that the pot was laying 11-1, I was 99% sure they had an ace, so I'm not wasting money paying it off.

[/ QUOTE ]

You might want to skip putting stuff like this in the chat window. An observant player might make note of this and spend the rest of his time at the table taking shots at you when scary cards hit.

Also, this is worth a read: Those Damn Fish!!!
Old 12-08-2005, 03:42 AM

This is serious advice.

Play money tables.
This is where you belong until you understand the game a little better.
Old 12-08-2005, 04:10 AM

Here's the forum you're looking for.
Old 12-08-2005, 05:17 AM

Ever here the quote, "Poker is a lot like sex, everyone thinks they're good at it but most people don't know what they are doing?" You are a premature ejaculator w/small rod that thinks he's Ron Jeremy.

I'm no expert, but I know enough to recognize that you have a lot of work to do. There are numerous mistakes in the hands that you posted, which other posters have pointed out. Reading SSHE does not automatically make you good. The material in any of the 2+2 books is usually fairly advanced and takes some time to digest and understand. Getting good also takes a lot of practice. Many people play for a year or more before becoming consistant winners. Some people never become winners.

You should study a lot and constantly work on your game as you play. BTW, don't play in play money games; I don't think they help much. If you're losing too much money to handle you can move down as low as .01/.02 til your game starts improving. Never be satisfied. GL
Old 12-08-2005, 05:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Ever here the quote, "Poker is a lot like sex, everyone thinks they're good at it but most people don't know what they are doing?" You are a premature ejaculator w/small rod that thinks he's Ron Jeremy.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL
Old 12-08-2005, 07:58 AM

why do you think you are good? serious question
Old 12-08-2005, 05:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
damn another one of these cold critics...

guys, just don't respond to it. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

to the op: there's a beats, brags, and variance forum now. go post this there and get railed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Enough of your cynicism. Quit wasting your own time. Turn your poker wisdom into $$$ and let the newbies learn in these forums.
Old 12-08-2005, 05:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for the replies. What mistake did I make on the flop with top pair though? Should I have just bet at it? There were 6 SB in the pot, if I bet I'm offering 6.5:1 on a call. Check-raising was the better play in my view, and so was waiting for the turn, where my bet offered 4:1 (not 3:1 right because my bet added to the 3 already in there would make it 4:1). Yeah, I should be thankful for calling stations, but I was just a little frustrated tonight. I should try to pay more attention to my opponents tendencies as well. I haven't read TOP, but maybe I'll pick it up. Thanks again.

[/ QUOTE ]

Having the flop checked around is among THE WORST things that you could have let happen. You let it happen. Since you CANNOT BE *SURE* of someone else betting (you preflop raised...they might be scared) you *MUST* bet. "IF i bet I'm offereing 6:1 on a call" That's correct! But if you check, you offer them 6:0!!! That's WORSE!

Waiting for the turn is also very bad. If they have a single A of trump (the flush suit), you check the flop, it gets checked around. Now another trump suit shows up on the board. Your opponent with A of trump has picked up a 9 out draw! FOR FREE! You have to bet, and let them make a mistake by calling you. When you check, they are making no mistakes

YOU ARE.
Old 12-08-2005, 05:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I type in the chat "I'm not paying off an ace" and I fold. I don't care that the pot was laying 11-1, I was 99% sure they had an ace, so I'm not wasting money paying it off.

[/ QUOTE ]

You might want to skip putting stuff like this in the chat window. An observant player ...

[/ QUOTE ]

At .5/1?? I think not. This is the least of OP's concerns. His post flop play has serious holes.
Old 12-08-2005, 05:46 PM

If you really want to become a good poker player you will. First you have to understand that variance is a bitch. You may just be running bad, or you may not be as good as you think you are. Or your opponents maybe better than you give them credit for.

Start replying to hands, see how your advice compares to others. Post a hand that you are unsure of. Don't post hands where you got sucked out on, or say your opponent is a river rat who catches on you every friggin hand. We see it happen every day, we don't need to hear about it here.

Study hard, think about the game, it's not just going to happen over night. Good luck to you.