Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-06-2005, 05:38 PM

Default KJo > River (2/4)

MP1 is somewhat LAG and based off the last 100 hands or so is raising for a free card on a draw heavy flop with no pfr a signifigant percentage of the time, hence the 3-bet.

Comments on all streets appreciated but I think check-call the river was in order. It could induce a bluff if he missed and save a bet if I'm toast. Standard? Just started focusing on my limit hold em game.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (8 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG with J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
Hero calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (4 SB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, SB folds, BB folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, MP1 calls.

Turn: (5 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP1 calls.

River: (7 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 11 BB
Old 06-06-2005, 05:42 PM

Default Re: KJo > River (2/4)

I'm check-calling, but i'm a river wuss.

-d
Old 06-06-2005, 05:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm check-calling, but i'm a river wuss.

-d

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I was missing bets on the river so I started value betting more and now I'm trying to find spots to check/call with as I think I may have swung too far in the other direction
Old 06-06-2005, 05:55 PM

I think you have to check call this river. If your read on villian was that he raised the flop on a draw then I think you need to go with that considering both draws (str8 and flush) got there on the river.
Old 06-06-2005, 06:57 PM

I fold this preflop in UTG
I like your flop and turn play.
Not sure about river... bet/fold&gt;check/call?
Old 06-06-2005, 07:27 PM

If you can't fold to a raise on the river, don't bet.

Flop and turn are fine (bonus points for not giving a free card)

edit: HU on the river, you probably need to pay this off.
Sarge[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Old 06-06-2005, 08:04 PM

pf: the flop call was super marginal, but probably ok in a fishy game.

flop: the 3 bet was close again, but i prefer to call. here is why: since there are 2 more player to act after him that might call one bet but not two, the likelyhood that he is on a draw is decreased. and with calling and betting out on the turn you would punish a free card raise pretty much too (not to 3-bet on the flop against a draw would only cost about 1/3 small bet). if he has a made hand that is stronger than yours, he will probably raise you on the turn if you should just call his raise on the flop, but may very well just call with A, J or an overpair. that means a call on the flop (followed by a bet on the turn) would define you hand much better.

turn: ok

river: i like your play here. in similar situation i see hands like KJ, AT, KT, QT or even 88 and other strange holdings very often. the raise suggests strongly that you are beaten of course, but i think you have to call it anyway (prolly a winning chance of 10 - 20%).
Old 06-06-2005, 08:23 PM

Thanks for the feedback all. Sarge: I like your little aphorism about betting out in spots like this, i'll remember it.

[ QUOTE ]
flop: the 3 bet was close again, but i prefer to call. here is why: since there are 2 more player to act after him that might call one bet but not two, the likelyhood that he is on a draw is decreased. and with calling and betting out on the turn you would punish a free card raise pretty much too (not to 3-bet on the flop against a draw would only cost about 1/3 small bet). if he has a made hand that is stronger than yours, he will probably raise you on the turn if you should just call his raise on the flop, but may very well just call with A, J or an overpair. that means a call on the flop (followed by a bet on the turn) would define you hand much better.

[/ QUOTE ]

I generally like your logic here but I think the one spot where I'm not sure I agree and probably tilts things towards the 3-bet on the flop is that I don't think the presence of a 2 players to act after him decreases the chance that this is a free card play in more then a nominal sense. This guy is a preflop LAG so with position on the blinds in an unraised pot he would have most likely raised any combination of AKQJT suited or not preflop. He almost HAS to be on a draw here but you are right people show down some wierd stuff in this 2/4 game.
Old 06-06-2005, 08:36 PM

what's his pfr percentage?

if he was on a draw, his flop raise was a very bad play imo. the free card play gains about 0,33 small bets if it succeeds (and costs 0,33 or 0,66 sb if it fails) and every lost caller costs about 0,33 sb. i cant imagine that there is any chance that a free card play is any good here (and it is not even close).
if you think he will make this move anyway the chance that he is on a draw is not decreased of course. but i think most player who are capable of the free card play would agree that this is no good spot for it.
Old 06-06-2005, 08:57 PM

I dislike the limp preflop. I think it's overused, but with marginal offsuit big cards that don't like a lot of people in the pot, I think it's raise or fold here.