Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-05-2005, 09:38 AM

Default JJ turned set and donked

10/20 Live at Greektown
Brand new game so no reads, the game seems tight-passive so far but it's only the second orbit so I really don't know yet.

Preflop: Hero is UTG+2 with J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, SB calls, BB calls.

Flop: (6 SB) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB folds, BB calls.

Turn: (4 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero...

Easy raise, or just call down?
If I should raise, what's my line if he 3-bets?
Old 09-05-2005, 09:48 AM

Default Re: JJ turned set and donked

the third club prolly hit him and he doesnt want to miss a bet... call down except if board pairs...
Old 09-05-2005, 09:56 AM

I think the most likely reason for BB to bet on the turn is the flush. KJ is highly unlikely since you have all the J's but one, so I guess its either one high [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] or a made flush.

We would have to call a 3-bet due to the redraw.

An argument for raising is obviously to make A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] and Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] pay, but since you get 1 bet when ahead and loose two more (minus the times we boat up) when behind, I call.

Is that too weak?
Old 09-05-2005, 10:02 AM

Easy raise. You are heads-up and it's possible the BB is making a move here.

If BB has the nut flush, he/she would normally try a check-raise on the turn or river. If BB has a non-nut flush, they will likely just call your turn raise.

If you do get 3-bet, just call and try to fill up on the river, you have 3.6:1 odds of hitting a boat or quads on the river.

If BB just calls your turn raise and if you don't fill on the river and BB checks, you probably should check behind. Most hands that would call a river bet here are ones that beat you.

If you were 3-bet and don't improve and BB bets the river, you can consider folding because you are likely beaten.
Old 09-05-2005, 10:16 AM

I agree with you that BB might be making many moves here, since its HU, I kinda ignored that in my post.
But given its heads up, it is also less likely that BB will only call a raise with a lesser flush.

If he is making a pure bluff without a [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], isn't he likely to fold to a raise, but bet the river if called?
Or is your point mainly that he is most likely to be betting a lone [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], making it necessary for us to charge him the maximum for his draw?
Old 09-05-2005, 10:20 AM

if it was HU from the PF action onward then I might go with that line but, it was multiway until the flop so I think that increases the chance of clubs.

Also, I dont think going for the c/r with the nut flush is automatic. No reads at the table, possibly Tight Passive... thats might add up to leaning out so as not to miss a bet.
Old 09-05-2005, 11:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, I dont think going for the c/r with the nut flush is automatic. No reads at the table, possibly Tight Passive... thats might add up to leaning out so as not to miss a bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed, it's not automatic that a c/r would occur. Nothing is automatic with little reads on this player.

My thinking is that most opponents are going to put you (the OP) on AK or a big pair and are going to check-raise with their flush because you (the OP) are going to follow through with a turn bet here with your AK or big pair, even with 3 clubs on board.
Old 09-05-2005, 12:18 PM

If he does not have the A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] and folds to a raise, that's fine by me. That is better than letting him draw out on us with something like the Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (or worse). If he does have the A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (or worse), then we charge him to draw when we are ahead. It's not a certainty for him to bet the river again if we call him on the turn and he misses on the river and will likely fold to our bet if he missed. If that happens, we miss a bet.

Even though it's heads-up, a lesser flush may not 3-bet the turn if we raise here. There are preflop raising hands that could have it beat (e.g., A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]), so it's not an automatic 3-bet for the typical player. If you bet a non-nut flush into a 3-flush board and get raised, you have to believe that there is a reasonable chance that you are up against the nut flush and should slow down.

My main point is that there are a lot of hands that we are ahead of and that the typical player will c/r if they have a flush. It's also possible that the BB has now made 2 pair (KJ). It's also possible that he has a smaller set of 6s or 8s and was planning on c/r the turn until the third club came and is trying to use it as a scare card and to see where he is with those hands. I do see that play quite a bit.

There are a lot of hands that you are ahead of here. And you have 10 outs to improve, if needed.
Old 09-05-2005, 01:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
10/20 Live at Greektown
Brand new game so no reads, the game seems tight-passive so far but it's only the second orbit so I really don't know yet.

Preflop: Hero is UTG+2 with J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, SB calls, BB calls.

Flop: (6 SB) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB folds, BB calls.

Turn: (4 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero...

Easy raise, or just call down?
If I should raise, what's my line if he 3-bets?

[/ QUOTE ]

If he is bluffin with a flush draw, you lose 1 bet if the river is a non-club. If he has two pair and you just call and another club comes on the river, you lose bets possibly.
I tend to lose a lot of $$ with my sets when I'm beat. I raise the turn and if re-raised, ck/call the river if I don't build a boat against his flush.
Old 09-05-2005, 01:56 PM

I think you are right.

My thoughts at the time were that I definitely wanted to get to showdown, and I didn't want to pay 4 bets to do so. So I just called down.

I think that's too weak, and that I really do need to raise this turn.