Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-23-2005, 11:16 AM

Default Flopping nut straight with a flush draw on the board

This is from a hand that I played last week on .50/1 NL on PokerStars. It's a hand I've discussed with some friends over the last week, and I wanted to get everyone's take on it. Sorry I don't have the hand history.

I was on the button with Qh9h, and I decided to see a flop, as 4 people limped in before me. I had $75 in my stack. The SB completed, and the BB checked. 7 to the flop.

Flop comes: 8d 10s Js

So, I flopped the nut straight, but there is a spade draw out there. UTG ($80) bets $5 into a $7 pot, and a player in MP ($180) calls the $5. Folds around to me. What do you do?

I put the MP guy (caller) on a flush draw, so my first instinct was to make him pay for his flush. Since the first guy made a healthy bet, I put him on a decent hand, like TPTK or two pair.

Option 1: Make a huge raise, perhaps all-in.
Option 2: Call, and if a spade hits the turn, trust my read and get out. If a non-spade hits, and if the board doesn't pair, then crank up the betting on the turn, perhaps pushing all-in.

I decided to push all-in, which I figure to be a pretty standard play. Thoughts? How feasible is option 2?