Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-23-2004, 11:36 AM

Default Party-time

Back for a little visit to the loose and aggressive $15-30 games at Party.

Hand 1
------

Opponent in this hand has already seemed on the more aggressive end of the Party scale, which is saying something. I open-raise from EP with AsAh. Button three-bets, folded back to me, I cap and he calls. Two to the flop for a change, but already 10 small bets in the pot which makes it half familiar to the typical Party-pot!

Flop: Qc-9s-6c. I bet, opponent raises, I call.

Turn: 4c. I check, opponent bets, I check-raise, opponent 3-bets, I call.

River: 8h. I check and call.

Comments?

Hand 2
------

Three limpers and small blind completes to me in BB with 99. I raise. All call.

Flop: 7h-6c-2d. I bet and get two callers.

Turn: Qd. I bet and both call.

River: 3c. I bet.

Hand 3
------

UTG limps, cut-off raises, I three-bet on the button with AcJc. Both blinds call, as well as UTG and cut-off. Five to the flop for three bets each.

Flop: 7h-6c-2s. Checked to me and I check.

Turn: Jh. Checked to the cut-off who bets, I raise, SB calls two cold, as does UTG and cut-off calls too.

River: Qd. Checked to me and I check.

Let it rain...

lars
Old 04-23-2004, 01:05 PM

Default Re: Party-time

Hand 1 - This is the line I would normally take against an average opponent. I would cap the turn against a really aggressive opponent except that the flush got there on the turn. That coupled with his 3-bet of my checkraise makes me curl up and call down.

Hand 2 - I wouldn't raise preflop but I don't thing doing so is a big mistake (if one at all). Considering that you raised, I like the way you played the hand postflop.

Hand 3 - Assuming the CO is a little loose with his raises, the 3-bet is fine. I'd bet that river when checked to.

Luke
Old 04-23-2004, 01:22 PM

Default Re: Party-time

Hand 1: 3bet the flop, bet out the turn, call down if raised.

hand 2: perfect. if you're NOT raising 99 here you're making a mistake.

hand 3: bet the river, no question, you'll be called by worse alot. 3betting preflop is questionable but i find myself doing it against that type of opponent more than even odds.

-Barron
Old 04-23-2004, 09:09 PM

Default Results

Hand 1: My opponent showed KdJh for a non-club gutshot straight draw.

Hand 2: I got called in both spots, which didn't feel very good. The overcalled showed QJo, for a turned top pair to take the pot. This is a classic excample where building a pot for value probably cost me this specific pot. The other caller must've hit the flop fairly good to be able to call me down as well, and would probably raise a flop bet from me had I checked pre-flop and anyhow I can't see QJ calling that flop either had it been unraised pre-flop.

But hey, then again *I* have a hard time understanding why QJ wants to even call this flop bet in a raised pot. :-)

Hand 3
------

There have been few responses so far, but I expected a few comments on my pre-flop 3-bet followed up by a flop check. The flop check I can explain with the fact that I would really hate to have to call a check-raise on this flop, as I usually be drawing to between 3 outs and completely dead, without any backdoor draws. At the same time, I would of course hate folding because of the pot size. I chose to just take the free card instead. And I have discovered the card-Gods reward honest players! ;-)

On the river, the players in turn showed Th8h, Ah6h and Jc8c (pre-flop raisor). So I guess I should consider myself lucky to have my hand hold up, correct to have 3-bet pre-flop and weak to have checked the river.

lars