Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2005, 04:52 PM

Default Ax suited hands, when to playin NL?

Off suit, definitely won't play anything below a 7. Might play 8,9 in late position.

But as for suited, when is it correct time to play these hands? I know it probably depends but from my experience, I usually play them only when I have more than 3 callers in front, etc...cuz if I hit my flush, I am getting paid.

But how about to a raise? say a 3x BB raise with multiple callers, do you guys still play these suited hands?

Just wanted to how everyone felt about playing these hands.
Old 11-07-2005, 05:09 PM

Default Re: Ax suited hands, when to playin NL?

I know in my experience in limit hold em, any suited aces below AT are generally asking for trouble. A9s and below will lose at showdown to a higher kicker far more often then it will win a decent amount of money on a nut flush.

some people I know won't even play AQ suited against a raise in NL, if that's any perspective for you. if the flop comes all your suit, you won't get much action anyway. and if you flop 4 and have to call a big bet on 3rd and 4th street, it's not usually profitable to draw either. and against an opponent's pocket pair, you could still lose to a full house or quads after hitting.

if you're guaranteed multiway action in late position, then it's worth a shot, but UTG+1 when UTG raises, that would be a loose call. alternately, in position against a weak raiser who plays anything, consider re-raising to isolate.
Old 11-07-2005, 05:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Off suit, definitely won't play anything below a 7. Might play 8,9 in late position.

But as for suited, when is it correct time to play these hands? I know it probably depends but from my experience, I usually play them only when I have more than 3 callers in front, etc...cuz if I hit my flush, I am getting paid.

But how about to a raise? say a 3x BB raise with multiple callers, do you guys still play these suited hands?

Just wanted to how everyone felt about playing these hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty tight when I play NL hold'em. I would fold any Axs that was not AKs to a raise preflop. These are very speculative hands, and if you find yourself cold calling with them regulary, you are losing a lot of money.

I only play Axs if I think I can get in very cheap to see the flop.

Regards,

T
Old 11-08-2005, 07:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Off suit, definitely won't play anything below a 7.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just out of curiosity, what do you hope for when you play A7o? It seems to me that hand is too easily dominated. I'm asking as a noobie, not because I think it's wrong. Although I wouldn't play it....

Axs I probably limp in an unraised pot below ATs. I too have trouble with this hand...

JunkHead
Old 11-08-2005, 09:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Off suit, definitely won't play anything below a 7.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just out of curiosity, what do you hope for when you play A7o? It seems to me that hand is too easily dominated. I'm asking as a noobie, not because I think it's wrong. Although I wouldn't play it....

Axs I probably limp in an unraised pot below ATs. I too have trouble with this hand...

JunkHead

[/ QUOTE ]

I should have clarified, I was playing and on a tear, that is why i included hands such as A7o, A8o, etc...to the point where I was able to push people off there hands with higher kickers. or getting two pair on the turn, etc...

But you are correct that these hands are way too easily dominated, especially in Limit.
Old 11-08-2005, 09:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I know in my experience in limit hold em, any suited aces below AT are generally asking for trouble. A9s and below will lose at showdown to a higher kicker far more often then it will win a decent amount of money on a nut flush.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's probably true assuming that you take them both to showdown, although even then the flush will potentially make more money (because there are more chances for people to catch second best hands like trips, top two, straights, etc.).

But the more important point is, you're not obligated to take your Axs to showdown. Granted, you don't want to get weak tight and fold Ace-low to anyone who takes a shot at you, and that's where experience helps. I don't really have it so I too have the potential to get myself in big trouble.

But if you err to the conservative, even weak-tight side, limping in in late position in an unraised pot with Axs is probably OK.
Old 11-10-2005, 10:34 PM

Well... the GSIH Short Stack method advises these are OK on the button if you only have to call the BB.

My best guess is you'd also want that to be a family pot if you are basically taking a shot at the the flush.
Old 11-11-2005, 04:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I usually fold A9o on the button after one or more limpers. I just don't think it is profitable in the games I play. I typically open-raise with any ace on the button. I fold ATo in EP and limp with AQo in EP.

[ QUOTE ]

But as for suited, when is it correct time to play these hands?

[/ QUOTE ]
It's reasonable to play them in a passive game without a lot of raising preflop. It is generally bad to play draws out of position (it's hard to get paid off), so you should usually fold ATs to anything more than a minimum raise behind you, and avoid playing it in EP if it is likely there will be a raise behind you.

[ QUOTE ]
I know it probably depends but from my experience, I usually play them only when I have more than 3 callers in front, etc...cuz if I hit my flush, I am getting paid.

[/ QUOTE ]
In NL, the number of other players in the pot is not as important as in limit. Implied odds can even make up for being a significant underdog preflop, but you should have plenty of equity with Axs.

Keep in mind that the nut flush draw is a strong hand even before it hits. You not only have 9 outs to the nut flush, you also have an overcard, making your hand about even against TPGK or an overpair on the flop. Further, your ace-high is a stronger made hand than almost all other draws.

Don't forget to bet on some flops you missed that are unlikely to have hit anyone else. For example, I often bet on the flop when I have AT and the board is something like 933r. If someone has a low pair, my bet is a semibluff, but usually I think I'm protecting the best hand.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
You have to pay attention to the location of the raise. You should fold AQs to an early position raise, particularly by a tight player. If someone raises in late position or middle position, it may be reasonable to smooth-call with AJs-AKs. Against a loose raiser, I might reraise with these hands. I think it is a common mistake to call raises with weaker Axs, and I make a lot of money off of that mistake.

By the way, if everyone outside of the blinds folds, weak aces become much stronger.