Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2005, 03:25 AM

Default 5/10NL, KK hand vs Viffer

Worked up to 1500 or so without showing down, then semi-bluffed a fishy weak-tighty with 44 and couldn't get him to lay down his 88. That's the only showdown the table has seen on my part. Viffer is playing extremely tight, hasn't made any big moves that I've seen. Table is pretty loose/passive.

Hero - BB - (1200) K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Viffer - SB - (covers)

All fold to LP poster, he checks, Viffer completes, I make it 40 even. LP poster folds, Viffer calls quickly.

Flop: 5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

He checks, bet 50, he insta-calls.

Turn: A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

He checks, Hero...

Kirk
Old 10-31-2005, 03:50 AM

Default Re: 5/10NL, KK hand vs Viffer

C'mon... no idea or just a boring hand?

"Uh... I dunno... fold pre-flop." ...or something.

Kirk
Old 10-31-2005, 04:03 AM

Who is Viffer? Would he limp with a suited Ace? I'd bet again and probably check through the river.
Old 10-31-2005, 04:21 AM

He's a good, very aggressive player that several other posters have had the chance to play against in the past.

Bet turn, okay...
The reason I don't like betting that turn is that there's a lot of hands he can c/r me with as both semi-bluffs and for value... either way I don't think I'd be able to call. Hence the post. Do you normally bet in that spot vs aggressive, tricky opponents?

Kirk
Old 10-31-2005, 05:16 AM

I don't know. I really dislike posting sometimes because I really can't explain myself. Everyone in Mid/High knows the basics of poker and the fundamental skills involved. Once you get to this level, your advantage over other decent players is mostly in reading game/board/player texture and interaction and being unpredictable and knowing exactly when to apply pressure and all of that stuff. I've said this a number of times, but there's just way too much involved in poker at this level to be able to give a definitive answer through text. When you're playing against other good players, poker almost falls apart and turns into rock/paper/scissors for exorbitant sums of money.
Old 10-31-2005, 05:57 AM

Default RESULTS

I pretty much agree with you. Majority of the time I'm not playing my cards, but rather what I think they have, what I think they're putting me on, and then playing whatever garbage I got dealt the way they would expect me to play the nuts if I had them. Which I never f'ing do. Oh well.

*sigh* Okay, looks like no one wants to take a stab at it, so I'll just post results.

Hero - BB - (1200) K K
Viffer - SB - (covers)

All fold to LP poster, he checks, Viffer completes, I make it 40 even. LP poster folds, Viffer calls quickly.

Flop: 5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Turn: A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

He checks, Hero checks.

River: 4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Villain checks, Hero checks.

Basically, I figured the turn killed my hand, as I got either outdrawn, or whatever hand he had that he thought might be best isn't paying me off anymore. I saw no point whatsoever in betting the river either. But I probably should've potted the flop.

Any other comments (thanks, Edge) appreciated.

Kirk

Edit: Edited title.
Old 10-31-2005, 01:41 PM

Pot the flop. Otherwise this looks fine to me. You might have gotten paid on a thin value bet on the river if the river card had been something other than a 4 or a 9, but oh well.
Old 10-31-2005, 01:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Worked up to 1500 or so without showing down, then semi-bluffed a fishy weak-tighty with 44 and couldn't get him to lay down his 88. That's the only showdown the table has seen on my part. Viffer is playing extremely tight, hasn't made any big moves that I've seen. Table is pretty loose/passive.

Hero - BB - (1200) K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Viffer - SB - (covers)

Turn: A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

He checks, Hero...

Kirk

[/ QUOTE ]

bet again, with his image you should have an easy fold vs a raise.
Old 10-31-2005, 04:31 PM

Default Re: RESULTS

[ QUOTE ]
I pretty much agree with you. Majority of the time I'm not playing my cards, but rather what I think they have, what I think they're putting me on, and then playing whatever garbage I got dealt the way they would expect me to play the nuts if I had them. Which I never f'ing do. Oh well.

*sigh* Okay, looks like no one wants to take a stab at it, so I'll just post results.

Hero - BB - (1200) K K
Viffer - SB - (covers)

Turn: A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

He checks, Hero checks.

River: 4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Villain checks, Hero checks.

Basically, I figured the turn killed my hand, as I got either outdrawn, or whatever hand he had that he thought might be best isn't paying me off anymore. I saw no point whatsoever in betting the river either. But I probably should've potted the flop.

Any other comments (thanks, Edge) appreciated.

Kirk

Edit: Edited title.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you post results? I dont see what he had or who won?
I wouldve fired another $125 on the turn.
Old 10-31-2005, 10:33 PM

Default Re: RESULTS

Meh. Sorry.

He had 8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], I took it down. It just felt wrong all around.

Kirk