Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-13-2005, 11:09 AM

Default Another Early Push

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t15 (10 handed) converter

MP1 (t800)
MP2 (t800)
MP3 (t800)
Hero (t800)
Button (t870)
SB (t785)
BB (t745)
UTG (t800)
UTG+1 (t800)
UTG+2 (t800)

Preflop: Hero is CO with J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP1 calls t15, MP2 calls t15, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t60</font>, Button calls t60, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 calls t45, MP2 calls t45.

My read at this point that I most likely have the best hand before the flop. Lack of reraising indicates no high pocket pairs out there. Second hand of the tourney and I have no reads yet on anyone.

Flop: (t265) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets t40</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t200</font>, Button folds, MP1 folds, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises to t450</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t700</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises to t740 (All-In)</font>, Hero calls t40 (All-In).

Possible straight draw but no flush. I'm thinking that Im against unpaired high cards so I bet. The raise should have scared me but didn't because Im thinking that they might think Im trying to steal the pot.

The reraise was supposed to be all in but I left some chips behind. Accidently.

Turn: (t1745) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 2 all-in)</font>

River: (t1745) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 2 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: t1745

So was it a terrible move pushing against the reraise? I think that if nothing else it was a hasety decision. I should have taken a few seconds to think through villians likely hand possibilities. What do you put villian on?

Greg
Old 09-13-2005, 11:18 AM

Default Re: Another Early Push

Either an A7, set of 5's or 8's??? I think both of you bet too much on the flop, who wants to risk so much without a very strong hand so early on...now I think about even more he had to have a small set or just a donkey???
Old 09-13-2005, 11:20 AM

What buy-in is this?
Old 09-13-2005, 11:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Either an A7, set of 5's or 8's??? I think both of you bet too much on the flop, who wants to risk so much without a very strong hand so early on...now I think about even more he had to have a small set or just a donkey???

[/ QUOTE ]

I should have posted that it is the $5+1's. I'm just getting started with sit and go's. I just finished HOH V1 and am half way through V2. It is clear in retrospect that villian probably had a set. Since I was not pot comitted I should have laid down the JJ rather than pushing. However, I dont tend to give the 5+1'ers very much credit and just was putting him on high cards or TP with a good kicker, thinking I was way ahead and he was trying to push me off the pot.

I dont think that a pot sized bet though was a bad play to lead off with. I thought that most likely I was ahead and since I was in bad position I wanted to lead out with a strong bet. I didnt want to let villian in cheap in case he had a straight draw.

I guess that it was basic HOH to not push here though. I just couldnt give villian more credit. The funny thing is later in the day in a different tourney, I limped 44 and hit a set busting out a guy in exactly the same fashion that I was busted out here.

I dont have the tools to run a +/-Ev evaluation here. Can anyone tell against the range of hands if this was a +EV push?

Greg
Old 09-13-2005, 11:36 AM

laying an overpair at any level up to $50 is a bad idea IMO.

i think raising more preflop would have been the best move here.
Old 09-13-2005, 11:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
laying an overpair at any level up to $50 is a bad idea IMO.

i think raising more preflop would have been the best move here.

[/ QUOTE ]
How much would you raise?

I just poped out the standerd 4xBB raise. This early in the tourney it was not a lot but I didnt want to steal with a legit hand. I wanted to at least get one caller.

If you wouldnt lay the hand down then you would have to go all in because calling the raise would leave me pot comitted anyways. Does that mean the push is correct?

Greg
Old 09-13-2005, 11:43 AM

With two limpers at the 5+1, I am raising more than 4BB.
Old 09-13-2005, 11:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I see the same play a lot with 66 or A6
Old 09-13-2005, 11:53 AM

I think raising more like 7-8xBB would be better. Villain got 5 to 1 on his preflop call, so he could have pretty much anything.
Old 09-13-2005, 11:55 AM

It's fine. I don't fold overpairs early in anything under a 50, even if someone put a gun to my head. It's never -EV to call w an overpair in a $5 sng...just too many donks to consider ever folding.