Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-2005, 06:01 PM

Default Ace high flop, I have AQ and guess what I fold

Party Poker 3.00/6.00 Hold'em <font color="#0000FF">(10 handed)</font> link

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, CO calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB calls, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 caps</font>, Hero calls, CO calls, BB calls.

Flop: (16.33 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO 3-bets</font>, BB calls, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 caps</font>, Hero folds...

CO = loose passive
BB = loose passive
UTG+2 = solid TAG

Standard or am I weak?
Old 08-23-2005, 06:23 PM

Default Re: Ace high flop, I have AQ and guess what I fold

Ah, jeez. I think I'd call for now and hope to spike a queen on the turn.

Of course, that may not be enough anyway. But you do also have your weak backdoor flush. It's hard to put the TAG on anything that isn't currently beating you (a hand that's just a flush draw seems pretty unlikely, given the preflop action and the fact that you hold the Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]). I suppose A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] is possible, though, and A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] and A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] can't be completely ruled out, in a pot that was multiway preflop.

CO is a concern too though, of course, and there's a good chance he currently has you beat, even if the TAG doesn't. Also, if CO has a set instead of a hand like A9/A7 or instead of a huge draw, then you're in big trouble.

Hmm. I think it's entirely possible folding is in fact best. I'm not sure.
Old 08-23-2005, 06:33 PM

I think the TAG's capping range is going to widen here with two LPs in the pot. Does it widen enough to include 99 (or 77)? Probably not. So there is only one combination of AA left, and 8 combos of AK (including 1 A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 3 more including just A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], and 2 with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]).

I'm really worried about CO, as this looks like a set (99/77). Even an LP isn't going to cold-call 3 with A9/A7/97, right?

BB could have anything, but i think most probable is the flush draw.

None of this looks very good for your TPSK. However, you're getting 16:1 on this flop call, so i don't really see how you can fold. You're probably going to have to fold the turn, so maybe you're better off just folding now. But what if, say, the A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] comes off? Now things look different for you because that card isn't in your opponents' hands.

My advice sucks. Just taking a stab at this. Yuck.
Old 08-23-2005, 06:38 PM

Even though I had great odds to see the turn, I was worried that spiking a Q or an A was not good enough (agaisnt a possible set), and that my backdoor draw was dominated by the As or Ks... hence the fold, but at the same time throwing this away on the flop makes me sick
Old 08-23-2005, 06:48 PM

I would fold, quickly.

Even if your A/Q outs are sometimes good, you lose a ton when they aren't and cannot play them aggressively in any case. The Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] isn't worth anything because the A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] is likely out.

Realistically, UTG+2 has a set or AKs, with an overplayed (IMO) AKo at the bottom of his range. So on the one hand you're dominated. What could loose-passive CO have that cold-called? Probably 2-pair or the nut flush draw, when you're often reverse dominated. BB has at least a couple outs too.

I can't think of any reason at all to call.
Old 08-23-2005, 06:55 PM

Default Results

[ QUOTE ]
I would fold, quickly.

Even if your A/Q outs are sometimes good, you lose a ton when they aren't and cannot play them aggressively in any case. The Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] isn't worth anything because the A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] is likely out.

Realistically, UTG+2 has a set or AKs, with an overplayed (IMO) AKo at the bottom of his range. So on the one hand you're dominated. What could loose-passive CO have that cold-called? Probably 2-pair or the nut flush draw, when you're often reverse dominated. BB has at least a couple outs too.

I can't think of any reason at all to call.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah. So this is easier fold than I thought.

CO had 8sTs
UTG+1 had AsKs
BB folded turn