Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-2005, 10:47 AM

Default Low winrate? Painful downswings? Then dont .........................

After reading the thread about thinking of giving up limit holdem,
I guess the players with problems were playing more than 2 tables and maybe at limits multitabling without a sufficient bankroll.

This is how I was going to reply, then I thought put it in its own thread.

======================================

Try playing 2 tables 100% of the time. (not 3 tables 66% 2 tablings 34%)

Shorthanded poker is about playing the players as much as the cards.

Not just playing the players by looking at there GameTime stats, but actually spotting and noting what hands they play and how they certain play hands.

This is not possible more than 2 tabling. IMO

Im sure its possible to win 4 tabling, but the winrate is obviously lower and the swings and especially bad day swings are going to be alot higher.

Also the more tables you play the tighter you should play, less than 24 vpip at a 6 handed table, Im 23 2 tabling 6 handed, if I played 3 tables I would cut out some plays and most likely be around 20-21 vpip.
Im sure most players dont do this, they carry on playing 25-26 vpip which includes alot of marginal hands.

I would guess the best forum players who do play 4 tables and never whine about downswings, low winrates, do play real tight. The few that play looser, well they are the minority, and who knows, maybe they have been fortunate so far.

Sure theres a few experts who no doubt win at a decent rate 4 tabling, but theres a few people/players at most games who are better than the vast majority. They can do that little bit extra and still benefit whereas others who push themselves that little bit further end up being worse of.

Good players with a good understanding of 6 max poker play 2 tables and win well and most likely enjoy the game more.

I personally only ever play 2 tables and my aim is to get as good as possible 2 tabling then move up limits. Not increasing tables.

The game is far more enjoyable 2 tabling, 6 max poker is a strategy game not a formula game (4 tabling), and you have to work out how to beat the other players.

Also if more than 2 tabling you need more than a 600BB bankroll due to the higher swings.

I have a 1000 - 1500BB bankroll, therefore swings dont really bother me.

Im not rushing up limits, I want to enjoy my poker, not get pissed off losing 200BB at a limit I maybe shouldnt be at, thats why it hurts to lose, when you see a big chunk on your bankroll gone.

So basically I think its dont get greedy, dont try playing too many tables, dont rush up limits.
Old 08-08-2005, 11:33 AM

Default Re: Low winrate? Painful downswings? Then dont .........................

Long time lurker of this forum, etc. etc. and I was moved to finally contribute something by saying how strongly I agree with this post. I play 3/6 6 max. and do okay, but after todays session 4 tabling for a couple of hours I had an almost idenctical thought: although I perhaps make more money per hour like this, in no way do I ever come away feeling like I have played anything close to my best poker. The OP is right. So much more than full ring, where at small stakes it is pretty much just odds odds odds, playing short is all about getting a fix on the other guy. And with four tables running, aside from basic categorisations (fish, TAG, LAG), I find this very difficult to do. Sure, there are some who can, but for the majority I imagine that the amount of information coming in is just too great to compute anything like optimally. Personally, I feel that if I want to play my best, not just grind it out, 3 tables is the absolute limit for my mental agility - 2 even better. And in terms of moving up limits, this should surely be acheived by actually playing good poker, not just multitabling for enough hours until there is sufficient BBs in the roll to have a shot.
Old 08-08-2005, 01:27 PM

Default Re: Low winrate? Painful downswings? Then dont .....................

A few thoughts:

A significant winner at a limit will make much more 4 tabling than 2 tabling, and it isn't close.

You can get specific player reads 4 tabling, but it takes longer. For me, I have to play a few pots with someone to get a read. I can't observe them playing hands with other players since my attention is at another table.

Playing too many tables does slow poker growth, and it encourages more automatic, ABC-type play. It is tough to really think through situations when you are playing three hands at once.

I disagree you have to play tighter when playing more tables. I've been an effective 30/20 player at 5/10 playing 6 tables.

I disagree most good players play 2 tables. The best players probably play 6-8 tables since it means so much more $$$ and they are good enough to beat the games for a lot even without great reads.

Playing more tables is more stressful, and your hourly swings (in terms of $ won/lost) will be much higher.

So, yeah, I agree and disagree. I think it boils down to what your motives are. If you're playing mostly for money, playing lots of tables makes sense. If you're playing for enjoyment or to improve, playing fewer tables makes sense.
Old 08-08-2005, 01:58 PM

...uh...what?

First of all...
[ QUOTE ]
Im sure most players dont do this, they carry on playing 25-26 vpip which includes alot of marginal hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

No. More tables = naturally less vpip. You tend to play alot less marginal hands from the blinds because other stuff is going on, you steal with less marginal hands, your vpip goes down. Dont know where you heard this, but its wrong.

Second, what is your SD/100? Mine is 14. I bet yours is higher. So if each of us are going to have a down swing over the next 10k hands, you're going to be feeling that swing until the 10k hands are over. 2-tabling that could take weeks. Me? I do 10k hands in 3 and a half days. I'd already be working my way back from my swing before you've even finished with it.

[ QUOTE ]
Also if more than 2 tabling you need more than a 600BB bankroll due to the higher swings

[/ QUOTE ]
You should know why this is wrong...

[ QUOTE ]
Not just playing the players by looking at there GameTime stats, but actually spotting and noting what hands they play and how they certain play hands.

This is not possible more than 2 tabling. IMO

[/ QUOTE ]
Just because you cant get reads when playing more than 2 tables doesnt mean the rest of the world cant.

I am by no means an expert, and I have been running hot for my last 30k hands, but if you look around the forums, you can find a very healthy # of people who are pulling strong win rates from 4+ tables at a time over a long period.

2 tables might work better for you, but the tone of your post was way too universal and does not apply to a large group of people on these forums.

Though I agree with your 'not rushing up in limits too fast' arguement... so does 90% of the forums.

Sorry if i sounded standoffish, I get defensive when people make broad sweeping claims that indirectly tell me that im wrong.
Old 08-08-2005, 02:07 PM

Default Re: Low winrate? Painful downswings? Then dont .........................

I almost always play 2 tables; sometimes I play 3 but not often. But that's a personal preference as well as a personal limit since I don't think I play 3 tables as well and absolutely blow trying to play 4 tables.

I am very, very skeptical of most all of your assertions that certain things are not possible at 3+ tables, that "good players" do this, or that playing no more than 2 tables is better for all or most players than playing 3 or 4 tables or more. If I were more confrontational I would just say "bullshit;" if I were more confrontational and regularly played 4 tables I would say "bullshit - you have no idea what you're talking about when you try to project your own comfort zone / personal preferences on to the other forum members."
Old 08-08-2005, 02:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also if more than 2 tabling you need more than a 600BB bankroll due to the higher swings

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You should know why this is wrong...

[/ QUOTE ]

His reasoning might not be totally correct, but theoretically you do need a higer bankroll to 4 table due to the decreased winrate..
Old 08-08-2005, 02:33 PM

Catt:

As important as I think reads are, and as much as they can improve your winrate, (and they most certainly can, and you have stressed this to me more than anyone else) I am strongly in favor of 4 tabling if I feel that I can handle the swings.

The reads you make 4 tabling are not nearly as good as the reads you make 2 tabling, of course. But I think the basis of a solid winning player in lower limit 6max games (5/10 and below) is his or her play in general situations against typical opponents.

4 tabling helps hone this skill and presents the player with a greater variety of decisions that need to be made in a given period of time. While you may disagree with me on this point, I think multitabling is the quickest way to find and fix leaks.
Old 08-08-2005, 02:49 PM

Peter_rus wrote in SH threads that he played 2 tables SH. I think most consider him to be a great SH player. 4 tabling you will have to play tighter and can't play as much read specific especially on marginal hands.
Old 08-08-2005, 03:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Peter_rus wrote in SH threads that he played 2 tables SH. I think most consider him to be a great SH player.

[/ QUOTE ]
I definitely agree.

[ QUOTE ]
4 tabling you will have to play tighter and can't play as much read specific especially on marginal hands.

[/ QUOTE ]
Why is this the case? I know from personal experience this just isn't true, and I'm not exactly God's gift to poker.

sthief plays like 8 tables of 10/20 with a VP$IP of 30 or somesuch and is winning more than 3BB/100. It can be done. Maybe not by everyone, though.
Old 08-08-2005, 03:16 PM

The swings are worse when multitabling because your winrate is lower.
They are over faster as you play more hands/hour but that doesnt change the fact you lose more and therefore need a bigger bankroll.