Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-26-2005, 03:52 PM

Default Game Selection/Quitting

This is a psychology point on game selection and when to quit and my biggest leak. When playing shorthnaded the mixture of the game can change fast, bust up some clown like iLuv2Lose for a few buy ins and other people start to notice, maybe mahatma will sit down, the game becomes marginal, then svanteKung comes in and dillutes the number of hands with the bad player ever further and the game isn't worth it.

at this point, rather than quitting i'll think "okay i'm up a lot, just play a few more hands, just to see how the game will go maybe it will go good, plus it would be nice to quit on a winning hand." then a few things could happen. A) i could win a hand, in which case i'll then stay in the game hoping that the other player went on tilt and to continue the rush. B) no big hand happened, in which case i stay in the game and wait for the winning hand to end the session on. C) i lose a hand, (maybe i made a bad play and decide my table imagine is now too good to leave the game with, before capatlizing on), i'll think i lost a hand, now i'm due to win one if i just sit quiet and wait for it. i'll steal that hand get back to what i was before and then leave the game fast.

sometimes i will win that hand and then we're just back at point A. otherwise, it generally takes me losing 1/2 a buy in or more before i get mad at myself for waiting so long to quit a marginal game and for losing the money.