Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2005, 02:28 PM

Default Re: Best ground coffee is.......

[ QUOTE ]
They also make a good french roast for those who don't like chicory.

[/ QUOTE ]

That said, du monde also has a french roast now, though I haven't tried it.
Old 11-09-2005, 02:46 PM

Pura Vida

Old 11-09-2005, 02:49 PM

you know I really like cafe du monde, and I recently got a can of the french market coffee and chicory and couldn't stand it. do you prefer one over the other?
Old 11-09-2005, 02:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Totally correct, but you forgot Medaglia d'Oro.

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't had this, but of course have seen it. good/bad/meh?
Old 11-09-2005, 03:09 PM

http://www.brownscoffee.com
Old 11-09-2005, 03:15 PM

I love cafe du monde, but the coffee they sell in stores I don't like very much at all.

I haven't had their French roast, can anyone describe what's different about it? I normally prefer a darker roast, and I might be willing to try that.
Old 11-09-2005, 03:32 PM

Walmart Columbian [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 11-09-2005, 03:52 PM

French Roast actually describes the roast of the coffee which in this case is dark. To say a coffee is French roast is not defining the bean actually, such as arabica, columbian, haitian, etc. Now that canned coffee is getting high and falutin(<--sp) There are all sorts of French Roasts out there. Expresso is the darkest roast bean of all, burnt, really dark. You don't have to have an expresso machine to taste that dark strong flavor either.

Many grocery stores now have their gourmet sections for coffee beans. Here's something you can try. Taste a bean. If you like the flavor, you will like the coffee.

Kona, a very expensive bean from Hawaii is an unusally sweet bean and makes almost a syrupy tasting coffee.

Haitian, if you can find it is an excellant choice and is usually sold as a medium roasted bean.

Sumatra is a slighly sweet bean which makes a great full bodied coffee, normally available in a medium roast.

Columbian, excellant medium roast bean.

If you always want fresh coffee there are a couple of tricks. If you don't want to grind your own coffee on a daily basis, you could still benefit from a grinder and grind enough for the week, month, etc. Keeping the beans in the freezer is the best idea yes. Die hards could vaccum seal their freshly ground coffee and then freeze in pot size packages for ease of use.

Coffee Making to some is an art form and there are many ways of making great coffee. Many Die Hards go the extra mile for an excellant cup.

For those less inclined like myself, there's that great thermal carafe coffee maker from Black & Decker that drips the fresh coffee right into the thermos and every cup is as fresh as the first [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 11-09-2005, 03:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Every morning I pick up a Tim Horton's coffee but I've decided to make my own. Any good ground coffee out there? I should probably buy the beans whole and grind them up every morning but that is too much hassle.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's all about Timmy Ho's
Old 11-09-2005, 04:16 PM

I drink, usually, 10+ cups of coffee a day. That doesn't make me any expert - maybe my taste buds are warped - but I like trying different roasts and beans. I sometimes do the grinding thing and keep the grounds and beans in tightly sealed cans in the fridge. Haven't tried freezing, as suggested, but think now I will.

Folger's now has a wider selection of roasts and some flavors. All seem OK. Yuban is a good, IMO, 100% Columbian. Wal-mart's Columbian might be worth a try.

If you really, really want a kick in the ass, coffee-wise, try Turkish coffee (sometimes called Greek). You boil it and only drink a very small cup (demitasse) with a lot of sugar. It's absolutely fine with Baklava or other pastry from that part of the world.

The key to the best coffee, whatever bean/grind, is a clean, clean pot/brewer, and fresh water. Leftover oils and crummy water kill the good part of coffe.