Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2005, 03:43 PM

Default Moving up Math help

Hi all:

I used to play NL cash games, 3/6 and 5/10 before deciding that I was more comfortable in SNGs because I was attracted to a game with less variance.

I've been 8 tabling $33 sngs for a few months now and I've logged several thousand. I average a little over 21% ROI, netting me a cool $7.07 per SNG. Considering I run 8 at a time, and I average 34 minutes per game, I'm making about $95/hr. Obviously this is an imperfect number because there is a lapse between busting out and restarting another game...in addition, when sessions wind down, I go from 8 to 4 to 3, etc. But for the purpose of this exercise, let's assume a $95 hourly rate.

I've been averse to moving up to $55s not so much because the skill level is different, but because of the extra 2000 chips in play. Let's assume an extreme and propose that my ROI drops 5% or so. How much will the extra 2,000 chips in play hurt my hourly wage. I love the $33s principally because they're so short. How much time do those 2,000 chips add?

Does anyone have an equation or experience so that I can calculate the time difference and general ROI drop from the 33s to 55s. Assuming that the 55s and 109s play on a fairly similar skill level, does it make more sense just to start playing the 109s?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 10-17-2005, 03:45 PM

Default Re: Moving up Math help

I just started playing the 55s for a few reasons
to get better
to make more money
so i can move up to the 109s and so forth

I think that moving straight to the 109s would be a mistake. The players ive seen so far (only 71 games) havent been that good from what i expected.
Old 10-17-2005, 04:25 PM

Moving directly to the 109s would definately be a mistake.

The players ARE better at the 55s than the 33s, however not by much. Still there are lots of things you must learn and adjust to in the 55s way before you are ever ready to step up to the 109s.

To qoute an absolute 109 "god" around here, raptor... well this isnt a qoute but it went something like this.

"In the 55s you are still able to play the tight first, push later concept. At the 109s and 215s it is more to your advantage to play some early pots, take cheap flops and build your stack. That is where the money is."

I think he said something like that not too long ago anyways, lol.

So yeah, just my 2 cents. Im currently at the 11s so what do I know, lol.
Old 10-17-2005, 04:57 PM

Why not play some 55s for a little while and see how long they take for yourself? Mix one or two in with your 33s.
Old 10-17-2005, 07:30 PM

Listen guys, I'm way over bankrolled for the 55s and even the 109s.

I wrote this post looking for some math analysis of how my exact hourly rate might be affected by higher payouts but longer game times.

Can anyone give insight into this?

Ezra
Old 10-17-2005, 07:39 PM

If you're sharp enough to make $95/hr at the 33's, you're sharp enough to figure out how moving up will change your hourly rate, using the assumptions you yourself have given plus a bit of your experience from your thousands of 33's. This is a thinly-veiled brag post.
Old 10-17-2005, 08:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hi all:

I used to play NL cash games, 3/6 and 5/10 before deciding that I was more comfortable in SNGs because I was attracted to a game with less variance.

I've been 8 tabling $33 sngs for a few months now and I've logged several thousand. I average a little over 21% ROI, netting me a cool $7.07 per SNG. Considering I run 8 at a time, and I average 34 minutes per game, I'm making about $95/hr. Obviously this is an imperfect number because there is a lapse between busting out and restarting another game...in addition, when sessions wind down, I go from 8 to 4 to 3, etc. But for the purpose of this exercise, let's assume a $95 hourly rate.

I've been averse to moving up to $55s not so much because the skill level is different, but because of the extra 2000 chips in play. Let's assume an extreme and propose that my ROI drops 5% or so. How much will the extra 2,000 chips in play hurt my hourly wage. I love the $33s principally because they're so short. How much time do those 2,000 chips add?

Does anyone have an equation or experience so that I can calculate the time difference and general ROI drop from the 33s to 55s. Assuming that the 55s and 109s play on a fairly similar skill level, does it make more sense just to start playing the 109s?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

just fcuking move up...oh god... this are the post I dislike the most( in that order):
1) Any thread started by stanzee
2) Bad beats
3) Any thread that even thinks about the possibility of folding AA preflop
4) Any thread that asks OBVIOUS all-in/fold decitions( I dont mind answering those because theyre useful to the guys who just start lurking the forum)
5) Any thread about someone who has a HUGE dick and big Roi and wants to know his exact ROI on the next level even though he has hasnt even shown one hand of his play.
6) Those thread started by skiperbob who have huge popularity( I dont get the jokes...)

Funny thing is Ive started threas that
1)Complained about variance
2)talk about how is better to fold QQ preflop because I can get bigged edges later on.
3)threads that include easy push/fold questions.
EDIT: and of course my last postS have been preety much useless except for my bubble guide promise which will come out some day.
Old 10-17-2005, 08:09 PM

hey ezmogee

you are the best player on earth. move up to the 5k step highers on party poker.

goodluck
fuji
Old 10-17-2005, 08:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you're sharp enough to make $95/hr at the 33's, you're sharp enough to figure out how moving up will change your hourly rate, using the assumptions you yourself have given plus a bit of your experience from your thousands of 33's. This is a thinly-veiled brag post.

[/ QUOTE ]

This isn't a brag post. He knows that he has done well at the 33s. The point of the thread was to ask about moving up to the 55s or 109s (mathematically speaking) and no one has given him an answer.

Now, can anyone give this princess an answer?
Old 10-17-2005, 08:57 PM

I did 18% over 1k 33s. They take an average of 35 mins. I did 14% over 2k 55s. They take an average of 40 mins.
8 x 33 x 18% x 1.714 = 81.45 / h.
8 x 55 x 14% x 1.500 = 92.40 / h.
I've learned from this thread that some people somehow have better results than me but fail to do simple math.