Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-17-2005, 04:19 AM

Default Check turn to get to showdown?

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP with J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (4.33 SB) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls.

Turn: (3.16 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks.

River: (3.16 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB folds.

Final Pot: 4.16 BB

Villian was 42/26/3.15 I was really scared of the turn checkraise which I cannot call. With those stats, I put him as the perfect candidate to do so.

Check behind on river?
Old 07-17-2005, 05:05 AM

Default Re: Check turn to get to showdown?

with those stats, I would bet/call turn.
Old 07-17-2005, 10:57 AM

I don't think 3.15 aggro is a reason not to value bet this unless you've seen him raising an inordinate amount of turns.

I run around a 3.0 AF and I'm not raising that turn with a hand that you beat. Sometimes on the spade draw but rarely.

I like Bet/Fold. Pot's not big enough to warrent B/C imo.
Old 07-17-2005, 11:53 AM

if he didn't raise preflop and didn't pop the flop, your bigger concern is clubs or a straight draw, not the ace. id fire the turn here. worse hands are also calling like QT.
Old 07-17-2005, 11:59 AM

First, I gather that Villain likely plays btw 80-100% of his hands from the BB. I think bet/fold is a bad idea in these situations. You're HU with a loose-aggressive BB who may checkraise many hands here, including draws and pure bluffs. If this is true, you have to call down when you bet, which isn't nearly as bad as it seems. You earn a lot when BB holds a 9 or nothing and puts in 3BB to knock you off the pot. You only need ~3:1 on a calldown.

Checking is OK in HU situations if BB will always stab the river, but this is a tough board with flush and straight draws everywhere. You have a better time inducing a bluff with a turn bet, which isn't a crazy idea.