Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-12-2005, 04:11 AM

Default 20-40 in tunica; got my fat ast kicked.

hi everyone

just getting back from a 2 1/2 months long session at the 20-40 in tunica. i put on about 20 pounds from all the sitting. and my hair....whew.

alright, alright....and i also cussed out loud and threw cards a lot, i know. and yes, i lost about 15 grand. let's see, what else did i do? oh, i think i may have flipped a couple people or two the bird who lined up on the rail every day and stared menacingly at me when i was losing but who went off looking for other prey to stare at those times when i was winning. the rail birds who like to watch you lose, you know? well, i flipped em off in the middle of one of my losing streaks at the height of their happiness.

that stinking rotten river. every frigging time! i mean every frigging time!! unfreaking believeable!! i got rivered every you know whating time!! by 2 and 3 outers over and over and over again. for 2 and a half months! it made me a much better player though.

during the final two weeks of my session, i got stronger. i thought i respected the challenge posed by this game at a fairly reasonable level, but the beating i took drove in the realization even deeper about how tough this game can be. instead of playing with the idea that there is some type of mathematical safety net in place to catch you if you should fall, actually you must play with the idea that even the math is dangerously volatile and cannot be depended upon. in the past, whenever i did anything goofy, i had the reassurance that the math would quickly come to my aid and dig me out. now however, i know that even when you play at an expert level, you may still need the mathematical safety net only it might not be there. it's fickle like that. 2+2 will always equal 4, but it might decide to equal 4 tomorrow, and you may need it to start equaling 4 a little now, like right now for crying out loud. and it stands there and stares at you.....2+2, 2+2....but it doesn't do anything, it doesn't equal when you need it to. the dang thing stops unfolding but you don't stop falling. and pow! you hit the ground belly first on top of a knarly mathematical safety net ball that eventually does unfold, but only after you splatter.

after a while, you find yourself sitting at the table forcibly knitting the the net that may not open into a personal parachute. will it open when you need it to? maybe, maybe it will at that. anyway, knitting keeps you out of trouble. do you see what this game can do to a man? that stinking rotten river....ouch.
Old 01-12-2005, 04:24 AM

Default Re: 20-40 in tunica; got my fat ast kicked.

its mathematically possible for you to never again win a hand for the rest of your life.
Old 01-13-2005, 12:16 AM

It's also mathematically possible that the next time you walk out of your house, you will die from an eagle dropping a tortoise on your head.
Old 01-12-2005, 04:31 AM

well nice to have u back missed your posts
Old 01-12-2005, 11:41 PM

hi thomsen

thank-you.
Old 01-12-2005, 04:55 AM

Gee, and I really thought I was the only one that this type of crappy streak ever happened to. Generally the same type of beats in a similar game at the Bike that went on for four months. I was sure there was no safty net or I was truly a bad player and had been just lucky for the prior two years. That was two months ago and fortunately the net did open although my hourly has been slow to recover. That part of the math I don't like either.
Old 01-13-2005, 12:43 AM

hi bart

thanks for the response. i blame myself for losing as much as i did the first month of my session. i played terribly. i got sucked into situations that i should have known were plays being made against me by opponents who realized that i had a bad habit of assuming that if my opponent played badly in one hand or other, that he played poorly in all subsequent such hands. some players always play poorly. but i was being set up by the good tricky opponents and then running into situations that had me paying off like a slot machine. and this happened numerous times. i just didn't have the experience to understand this particular tactic used by opponents who are easy to beat just once, maybe deliberately so, but who then are extremely tough to beat the second time around. all of these opponents came at me weak just the once, but then played at expert level from that point on. i just didn't see it coming, and by the time i countered, it was too late. there was nothing under my list of things to do at the table that could force these trickies to play badly like that again after i was aware of what was happening. yes, i wound up beating them, but in tiny little pinches, and of course, they knew that i knew and avoided mixing it up with me. i can beat gaylen, but how do i get gaylen to fight? my chips are in his lock box like permanently. they won't come out.

failure to understand that i was gullible enough to be played for a sucker combined with a horrendous bad run and riverings that had many experienced players saying that they have never seen anything like it, all culminated together all at once to produce a negative 15 thousand dollar trip. the bottom line; i was the sucker.

i hate losing.

thomsen, i am going to go back to the table and win. the beating i took has turned me into a great player; a knitter. math be damned.
Old 01-12-2005, 04:59 AM

These streaks are horrible but i almost feel better when i lose a bunch to 2 and 3 outters because it convinces me that i am a winning player and i am just running bad, rather than a losing player whop has run good.
dave
Old 01-12-2005, 05:00 AM

Next time you sit down at the table, they won't know what hit 'em. I predict a monster run in the immediate future. Have fun. Welcome back.
Old 01-13-2005, 12:44 AM

hi el diablo

thanks, i needed that.