Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2005, 10:17 PM

Default Table Placement During Consolidation(specific to PokerStars)

So I was playing in the PS PCA DSO $5 turbo rebuy satellite and there are 22 of us left. 16 win a seat to the DSO.

Blinds have just moved to 10/20k and I have just finished posting (and folding) my big(12k) and small blinds(6k). I'm on the button with 10k left and can pretty much take it easy and fold my way into top 16 from the button.

Then bam, all of a sudden we are consolidated into 2 tables and down to 18 players. But I am placed UTG and am forced allin on the next hand. I bust in 18th place as a result of this.

PS rule #12 states:
As players are eliminated from the tournament, the software may balance tables to ensure all tables have an equal number (or as close as possible) number of active players. The balancing of tables is done randomly and, although rare, may result in a player having to post several big blinds in a row. When nine players remain in a Hold’em or Omaha tournament or eight players remain in a Seven Card Stud tournament, all players are brought together at the “final table”.

So effectively, I was just cheated out of a $175 seat because of the rare and random occurrence where I was forced to pay back to back blinds.

My questions for you are:

Do I have any recourse against PokerStars? If I am on the button why would I randomly be placed UTG - the placements simply shouldn't be random but rather based on your prior position. I should have been placed on or close to the button.

Are all sites like this, and if so, is there any point to employing time/stack management in a turbo rebuy when it comes to upcoming table consolidation on the bubble?
Old 11-07-2005, 10:24 PM

Default Re: Table Placement During Consolidation(specific to PokerStars)

HI! THIS IS A BAD BEAT POST. PEOPLE HAVE TWO REACTIONS TO YOUR BAD BEATS:

1. THEY DONT CARE

2. THEY ARE GLAD IT HAPPENED TO YOU

THANK YOU! COME AGAIN!

-BBP
Old 11-07-2005, 10:50 PM

1) Stars is good.
2) You weren't cheated. There's a lot of luck in tournament poker. There's luck in the cards; there's luck in your table draw; there's luck in who gets the button first; there's luck in who gets the button when the tables get combined.

Sucks. Play again.
Old 11-08-2005, 01:27 AM

if you play lonf enough the opposite will happen to you as well (you'll be chip wrecked, UTG about to be all in for less than the BB and then all of the sudden you're moved to the dealer button at the new table). IN other words, it's fair because it could've happened to anyone and it will happen to benefit you later.
Old 11-08-2005, 01:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Do I have any recourse against PokerStars?

[/ QUOTE ]

of course not. don't be ridiculous.

[ QUOTE ]
is there any point to employing time/stack management in a turbo rebuy when it comes to upcoming table consolidation on the bubble?

[/ QUOTE ]

obviously. it's a turbo. why wouldn't there be an advantage to timing blind advances and table switches properly? don't be ridiculous.
if you had timed it right you might have been able to avoid paying that first big-blind.

FWIW - there's hardly a guarantee that you would have made it even if you had been switched to the button.
you MIGHT have made it.
then again, getting switched to the BB again might have been a good thing for you if you caught a miracle (or if everyone folded around to you...which happens a lot by players fearing elimination)
Old 11-08-2005, 01:35 AM

I fall into the category of being glad that it happened to you.
Old 11-08-2005, 01:55 AM

Hopefully I will play long enough to experience the other end of this then.

FWIW, Stars gave me a detailed response with their handling of table placement(both table breaks and re-balancing moves) that is fair and reasonable.

I didn't know table placement bad beats existed, or at least, I never thought about it because it hasn't come up on the bubble like this.

As for the other responses, well... nah, I won't even bother. Good day to you flamers.