Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-11-2005, 10:01 AM

Default Was this a bad play?

Final table of a pretty weak home-game $50 freezout, 26 players. 130,000 total chips in play, 9 players remain, I have 40,000. I get KK in the big blind. Blinds are 600-1200. UTG+1 raises to 4,000, button calls, I go all-in to try and pick up the pot right there. UTG+1 folds, Button thinks for a long time and calls w/ QQ, and catches a Q on the river. Button has a lot more chips than I thought, and I find myself down to 8,000 and a bubble finish. Was it a bad move to put so many chips at stake at this point, even though I figured to be ahead (and actually was)? Should I have just taken a flop?
Old 04-11-2005, 05:16 PM

Default Re: Was this a bad play?

Ya, you should've taken the flop and then folded to the all-in by the very obvious set of queens that hits.

Are you really serious asking this question? You got the best of it in PF and were a 80% favorite to win TONS.

Brad
Old 04-11-2005, 10:37 PM

Not a bad play, just bad result.

>TW<
Old 04-11-2005, 10:46 PM

I think reraising to 12k and pushing any flop w/o an ace is better. Of course if you get reraised pf all your chips are going in. With position smooth calling isn't bad, albeit risky. If you thought he would call pushing is best. Pushing if you think he'll fold a lesser hand is bad. That is like saying "I have KK, if you have AA take all my chips, otherwise, make a good fold."
Old 04-11-2005, 10:49 PM

Boo bad beat stories. Boo.
Old 04-11-2005, 11:54 PM

Why bother asking this question. You got your opponent in for all his chips as a 4:1 dog. What more are you looking for?
Old 04-12-2005, 08:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Why bother asking this question. You got your opponent in for all his chips as a 4:1 dog. What more are you looking for?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is why I was asking:

[ QUOTE ]
Was it a bad move to put so many chips at stake at this point...?

[/ QUOTE ]

Given that I had >30% of chips on the table, and everyone else was horrible, should I have taken it a little easier and let them pick each other off? I know I could have got people to get their money in the pot in clearer cut situations later on. I didn't mean it as a bad beat story; it was a fairly standard bad beat, nothing out of the ordinary. The outcome was irrelevant - I guess I wanted to know if pushing with KK in this situation in this type of weak game was a good move or not - my question was strictly about survival and protecting my stack, not was I a favorite. I've heard people talk about laying down AA pre-flop on the bubble just to avoid being outdrawn, so I was asking if anyone thought I should have played this differently.

Geez you guys can be vultures - if you don't like the question, or have any value to add to the conversation, then simply don't reply - it's just annoying to get an attitude online. Do you guys always talk to people like this? If so, good luck to you in life. Trainwreck and fnord_too - thank you for your real, actual insight - in hindsight, fnord, that's how I would play it next time (but the flop did have an A as I recall). Oh well.
Old 04-12-2005, 10:23 AM

The reason some people jumped on you was you gave unnecessary bad beat information. Really, what your opponent had and what cards came are completely irrelevant. Here is how I would have phrased the question:

[ QUOTE ]
Late in a home tourney, I have 40K out of 130K in play, 9 players total left, and I am the strongest by a fair amount. 600/1200 blinds, UTG with 32K in chips raises to 12K. I'm in the BB with KK, what's my play? Should I push, make a standard reraise, or smooth call and why?

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 04-12-2005, 10:34 AM

your play was fine. If you are playing to win, and not just make the money then you have to be aggressive. You got a player with a dominated hand to call (which is what you want when you feel you are the best at the table....dont push with a slight edge, but wait for a bigger one...make them make the big mistakes).

You just got unlucky with the results....thats poker
Old 04-12-2005, 10:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The reason some people jumped on you was you gave unnecessary bad beat information. Really, what your opponent had and what cards came are completely irrelevant.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I realized that, but too late to edit...it doesn't make it any less annoying though! It's like you have to walk on proverbial eggshells on this board. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]