Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2004, 04:06 PM

Default AA in the BB

This weekend while playing 30-60 and 15-30 limit holdem on Pokerstarts I was fortunate enough to be dealt AA and KK on several occassions. My reflexive response to having AA or KK in a limit holdem game is to raise and to cap if possible. On a couple of occasions I was dealt AA (1) and KK (2) in the BB. On each occassion, by the time it was my turn to act 4-5 people had limped in. On each occasion I raised simply with the rational that I was likely to have the best hand and I was going to make them "pay to play".
Of course everone would alway call the raise. Unfourtunately on 2/3 occasions I was outdrawn. On each occasion I was in the lead on the flop but the texture of the flop was always concerning such as 2 suited cards or two ranked cards together. On each occasion it was not until the river that I was actually beat. My question is that in a mutiway pot is it the right thing to do to raise on the button with AA or KK. The chances of winning with these cards in a limit holdem game significantly decreases (I don't know the odds) but more importantly by raising the pot pre-flop I now give my opponents the right pot-odds to stay in a hand with one pair and a gut-shot straight draw.
I would be interested in any comments.

John
Old 11-15-2004, 04:10 PM

Default Re: AA in the BB

Good question, wrong forum - try the limit forum.