Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2005, 03:23 PM

Default I have a show down hand, so, I go to show down...

Wynn 15, crappy game.

I open on the button w/66

2+2er folds the SB, TAG-BB 3-bets, I 4-bet, BB 5-bets, I call.

Flop: 973r

He bets, I call

Turn: Q

he bets, I call

River: 2

he bets, I call
Old 11-08-2005, 03:27 PM

Default Re: I have a show down hand, so, I go to show down...

Doesn't the 5-bet set off alarm bells for you? Or do you think he's capping and betting all streets with AK often enough?
Old 11-08-2005, 04:36 PM

90% read dependent.
Old 11-08-2005, 04:39 PM

whats your image? TAGs dont bet that river with A high. He's gotta put you a PP.
Old 11-08-2005, 05:03 PM

this would be highly read dependent, can yuou give a better description of the player? FWIW I fold this somewhere against most TAGs in the game. I might put in a raise somewhere sometimes.
Old 11-08-2005, 05:18 PM

Pretty standard.
Old 11-08-2005, 06:00 PM

Hi Joe if one of the normal posters on this forum or an unknown had posted this hand i would have jumped on here and said that letting five bets go in pre flop is spewage so i guess i will be honest and say i think it is spewage. I would have called the three bet and raised a safe flop which you got.
Old 11-08-2005, 06:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hi Joe if one of the normal posters on this forum or an unknown had posted this hand i would have jumped on here and said that letting five bets go in pre flop is spewage so i guess i will be honest and say i think it is spewage. I would have called the three bet and raised a safe flop which you got.

[/ QUOTE ]

Against an aggressive player, the value of initiative with small pairs in heads-up pots (particularly in position) is huge. The basic point of the 4 bet is two-fold:

1. If TAG calls the four-bet and only has two big cards, you are completely putting the onus on him to improve and make a pair. This has many good effects, including that it'll be harder for him to push you out of a pot if you do have the best hand, and he might fold early in the hand because he thinks he's in worse shape than he really is (and make a FTOP mistake).

2. If villain does have a better pocket pair (basically 77-99), you will often be able to win the hand on particularly ugly flops (basically, anything with two cards J or higher). If you just call the three-bet, you are basically conceding to losing any such flop.
Old 11-08-2005, 06:40 PM

I might fold the turn. I don't have time to work out the Bayes now, but I like this hand I'll do it when I get home.
Old 11-08-2005, 06:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I might fold the turn. I don't have time to work out the Bayes now, but I like this hand I'll do it when I get home.

[/ QUOTE ]

AA (6 hands); KK (6); QQ (3); JJ (6); TT (6); 99 (3); AK (16)

Against this range we are ahead of 16 of 46 hands, and it be's lookin' like we need to call.

If we throw in AQ, that's 12 more hands we're behind, so it goes to 16 of 58, and it still looks like we need to call down.

Obviously this is very contingent on the fact that we assume villain will 5-bet a range that includes AK and that he'd bet the flop and the turn with it.

I kind of wonder if this is a case for calling the turn and folding the river, basically on the idea that villain's range gets considerably smaller once he bets the river. I'd obviously be wary of this against an astute opponent who might be aware that you were trying this, or against a donkish opponent who just figures he should bet AK because, well, it's AK.