Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-12-2005, 05:38 PM

Default Re: Fright night

[ QUOTE ]

Had a similar river situation a couple of days ago. Jaxup was sweating me. I just called the river which saved me the extra bet when I lost, but Jaxup pointed out that long term you will be winning an extra bet if you raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Was there a potential overcall, as well? If you lose the overcall you don't win anything extra at all by raising when you have the best hand. You simply expose yourself to more risk for those times when you have the worst.
Old 12-12-2005, 06:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Was there a potential overcall, as well? If you lose the overcall you don't win anything extra at all by raising when you have the best hand. You simply expose yourself to more risk for those times when you have the worst.

[/ QUOTE ]

No there wasn't an overcaller in my situation, but maybe I'm missing something. If you raise with the best of it and the bettor calls, you get one extra out of him. If he 3-bets and you cap, thats 3 extra bets. If you're even 51% favorite in these situations over the long run you're +EV.

I know it sucks to lose a big pot that you've been jamming, but IMHO worrying about how many bets you may lose is focusing on the wrong thing.
Old 12-12-2005, 06:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No there wasn't an overcaller in my situation, but maybe I'm missing something.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup, that's huge.

And MHIG he had A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Old 12-12-2005, 07:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No there wasn't an overcaller in my situation, but maybe I'm missing something.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup, that's huge.

And MHIG he had A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Respectfully. I disagree. If the overcaller folds but you get 1, 2, or 3 more bets out of the other guy when you have the best of it then you're getting a better return. As I see it you call, overcaller calls so you get +1 BB. If you raise, overcaller folds, first bettor calls, that's +1 BB. If you raise overcaller folds and it goes to 3 or 4 bets, and YHIG you get +2 or +3BB. As I said previously, if you've got the best hand even slightly better than 1/2 the time you have to raise.