Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-03-2005, 01:40 PM

Default All-In vs. Chip Leader?

Freeroll tournament, down to final 29 people (out of 679). I'm button (in 3rd place w/75,000 chips) with A8o, chip leader is in SB and has over 200,000 chips. Blinds/Antes are 800/1600/100. I've been at this table for a while, and chip leader has been commenting the whole time how much I'm stealing the blinds. Folded to me, and I raise to 6400 (my usuall 4 BB raise). Chip leader goes all-in. I...
Old 10-03-2005, 01:42 PM

Default Re: All-In vs. Chip Leader?

Might be helpful if we knew what you had...
Old 10-03-2005, 01:49 PM

I'm a moron...editing right now.
Old 10-03-2005, 01:51 PM

Fold. You're in pretty good shape, the raise was correct, but I don't like calling down A-mid for all my chips if I don't have to, he could have you dominated in many different ways. However, this is a freeroll, but still, A-8 is a medium hand at best
Old 10-03-2005, 01:52 PM

Another thing probably worth mentioning...initially, chip leader was fairly tight, but he's been playing more aggressively once we were all in the "money" (if you can call .25 money).
Old 10-03-2005, 01:54 PM

I would fold this one and constantly raising his blinds in the future too and when I pick up something nice I'll get him.

A-8 isn't that nice here. Fold it. It was a good raise tho.
Old 10-03-2005, 01:58 PM

Any random hand will beat you 40% of the time and your a slight to medium dog to PP's and A/bigger kicker. Even putting leader on a big range, other than Asmall, I'm not thrilled with putting the number three stack up against anything unless I don't feel like I have a skill advantage.

p
Old 10-03-2005, 02:15 PM

Not really sure how much of a skill advantage I had over the other players at this stage of the tournament, although I was certainly still better than average.
Old 10-03-2005, 02:18 PM

Default RESULTS

I called him. He had QJo and got a J on the turn. Looking back on it I'd say the other posters here are right - I should have waited for a better spot given my healthy stack. I think this is a weakness of mine right now. Once I'm in the money I tend to call all-ins with marginal cards. Now that I'm aware of it I plan to stop doing it.
Old 10-03-2005, 04:25 PM

Default Re: RESULTS

There's one other factor that argues for not being in this hand . . .

. . . Sitting with the big stack to your left is a crummy seat. If you're playing with 9-to-a-table, the table is going to break up soon and you'll get a better seat. Then you can go pummel some shorter stacks and make money more easily.

If you're sitting 10-to-a-table, then you're stuck with him for a while. But even so, I'd recommend not picking a fight with the big stack if there's easy money to be made elsewhere.