Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-06-2004, 09:58 PM

Default KK when an Ace flops

I'm never sure what to do in this situation. Half the time I give them credit for the Ace and the other half of the time I can't. This time, I just straddled the fence.

No reads on the blinds. Table had been fairly loose but had tightened up recently.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG+2 with K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="666666">5 folds</font>, SB calls, BB calls.

Flop: (6 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">SB raises</font>, BB folds, Hero calls.

Turn: (5 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (7 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 9 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 9 BB, between SB and Hero.</font>
Old 09-06-2004, 10:47 PM

Default Re: KK when an Ace flops

I'm interested in hearing others thoughts on this one.
Old 09-06-2004, 11:00 PM

Ugh, that's a bitch of a river because a lot of the aggro draws that might possibly play this way just got there.

But you seem to have decided on the flop to look him up, which really means calling come what may. That's not such a terrible line to take with KK heads up.

Against a Party 2/4 unknown the decision to dump this on the flop or call him down is a close one for me. But you do have position so if you want to play on it might be cheaper to 3-bet the flop, lead the turn, check the river, and fold to additional aggression.

In addition to being cheaper this line also has a sliver of a chance to fold A-rag. Although it gives the hand away to a bluffer willing to keep firing.

/mc
Old 09-06-2004, 11:47 PM

Warning: novice HU player

If I thought I had a chance, I would try to win this hand without a showdown.
Old 09-07-2004, 01:04 AM

How I play that depends in part on what my recent actions were. If I had made some tough folds recently, I would be more inclined to call him down because I don't want people inspired to take shots at me. Otherwise, the check-raise on the flop looks like he has a real hand, possibly a good draw. I don't think you could be faulted if you drop right there.

Normally, heads-up, once I decide to call someone down, I call him down. That might be a leak in my game. But in this case the ten of clubs is exceptionally scary. It completes a flush and a straight. What legitimate hands could he have here that you can still beat?

You are being offered 8 to 1 on your call. Is there a greater than 11% chance that your opponent is nuts, on tilt, or bluffing?

In truth, I probably call here, but I am not at all certain that I should call here.
Old 09-07-2004, 01:28 AM

I'm more inclined to give the SB credit for an Ace or better than the BB.
Old 09-07-2004, 01:38 AM

call me weak/tight or whatever you want but does anyone consider folding after the c/r on the flop? I can see that you might not want to considering future play but I think you are behind here. If you do call the raise should one then fold the turn if a blank hits?
Old 09-07-2004, 01:40 AM

I know others will dissagree with me, but for 5 BB at the turn I fold this hand to the opponent's first to act aggression. Anything beyond this point becomes gambling in my book. Let the villan take this small pot, save yourself for the BIG pots.

Opinions?

TT in da club [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Old 09-07-2004, 01:42 AM

How about 3 betting the flop and folding to a turn bet?
Old 09-07-2004, 01:54 AM

Without a read, I fold this virtually every time. Flush/straight draws rarely check-raise, so you're probably looking at a pair of Aces or better. Plus the pot ain't big enough to fight over.