Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2005, 08:32 AM

Default Worst move in poker?

I think my play here may be an example of what Chris Ferguson described as 'the worst play in poker' in a recent article.

I've got T3o in the big blind. Blinds are 10/20. Everyone has plenty of chips. 3 limpers, small blind completes, and I check. Pot is 90 chips. Flop is Q73 rainbow. Everybody checks. Turn is a 9. Everybody checks again. River is a 5. Small blind checks, I bet 60 chips. Everybody folds.

Is this the situation Ferguson was describing where I should't bet with a mediocre hand on the river, because I'll only be called by someone with a better hand? My thinking at the time was that I might cause someone a pair of 5s or 7s to fold, and that somebody with an A high might call me.
Old 10-04-2005, 08:36 AM

Default Re: Worst move in poker?

One other thing - this was in a freeroll, and its early enough that the majority of the people don't know what they're doing. Not sure if that affects whether my bet was correct.
Old 10-04-2005, 08:44 AM

I think this is exactly what he is talking about. In this example it isn't a big deal since it's a small pot and a small bet. But I'm fairly certain that:
The chance you get called by better hands >> (is significantly greater than) the chance better hands fold + the chance worse hands will call

For you to be betting off better hands, you'd need to bet more than you did. And for reliably getting calls from worse hands, you'd probably need to bet less.

It would be much better for you to be betting here with J high, a hand you know won't win a showdown. Or if the river had paired a small card on the flop, you can represent trips, and a better might fold.

As it is, VALUE BETTING/BLUFFING with bottom pair on the river is definately a leak in anyone's game...
Old 10-04-2005, 10:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
My thinking at the time was that I might cause someone a pair of 5s or 7s to fold, and that somebody with an A high might call me.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's pretty poor thinking.
Old 10-04-2005, 10:47 AM

I'm sure it is, but I'd love to hear why.
Old 10-04-2005, 11:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
One other thing - this was in a freeroll, and its early enough that the majority of the people don't know what they're doing. Not sure if that affects whether my bet was correct.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know that it swings it from "correct" to "incorrect" but in my eyes it definitely swings it from "questionable" to "terrible". I would not be surprised at all to get called by some random pocket pair, or third pair deuce kicker, in a freeroll.
Old 10-04-2005, 11:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm sure it is, but I'd love to hear why.

[/ QUOTE ]

If someone would call with Ace high then they would definitely call with a pair, right?

1 pair beat Ace high last time I checked.

When your hand can beat a bluff and only a bluff, betting serves no purpose. You can't win any more money by betting. If you get called, you lose. If everyone folds, you win the same amount as if it had gotten checked around. The only way to win any money on a hand like this is to check/call. Maybe an opponent in LP thinks this pot is worth stealing and bluffs at it, you snap it off with a pair of 3's.

More than likely the hand gets checked around, and you either win the pot, and betting would have won you nothing more, or you lose to a higher pair which would have called causing you to lose that bet. The ONLY reason to bet a hand like this is to prevent someone else from betting you off the best hand, but in this case the likelihood of that happening is small and the pot is not really worth it anyways.
Old 10-04-2005, 11:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
My thinking at the time was that I might cause someone a pair of 5s or 7s to fold, and that somebody with an A high might call me.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's pretty poor thinking.

[/ QUOTE ]
It's not as bad as it sounds.

[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] You need a stronger hand to call with several people left to act than when you close the action. Someone with 44 in early position might fold while someone in late position might call with ace-high.
[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] One player might be winning to fold a better hand, last to act, while another player might call with a worse hand in the same position.

The only way to exploit these inconsistencies is to bet. It still might not be worth it.