Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-09-2004, 04:48 PM

Default Well, let\'s see..I didn\'t learn a damn thing from Andy\'s 88 post

Party 15-30

Loose player calls (?) from the cut-off. Button (whose play I didn't really have much of a read on at the time) raises. sb folds. I call with red Aces. 3 way action.

Flop: AQ2 all spades

I checkraise and 4 bet the flop with the cut-off merely calling all bets (i.e button and I are doing the betting and raising).

turn: 3s

I check (?). Cut-off bets. Button and I call.

River: Qd

I check. Cut-off bets. Button raises. I 3 bet. Cut-off calls $60 more. Button caps. We both call.

I lose. Not a bad beat story but the title of the thread gives away the result and in any event, I wouldn't be posting it if I won with Aces full..heh.

Questions to ponder:

1. Preflop smoothcall

2. Turn check

3. Over-aggressive on the river?
Old 08-09-2004, 05:32 PM

Default Re: Well, let\'s see..I didn\'t learn a damn thing from Andy\'s 88 post

[ QUOTE ]

1. Preflop smoothcall

2. Turn check

3. Over-aggressive on the river?

[/ QUOTE ]

1. Not with 3 way action and out of position. Cap and lead. Get action from another set or A...or *gulp* flush.

2. Turn check and call is fine. You're behind any spade now.

3. You have a full boat. Not capping 4-bets here would be insane. If you were headsup and had unlimited raising, I'd go to about 7 or 8 bets before relenting. You'll see AQ, Q2, Q3, 22 and 33 often enough that capping is definitely correct.

Garland
Old 08-09-2004, 05:35 PM

Hi skp,

When you say [ QUOTE ]
Loose player calls (?) from the cut-off.

[/ QUOTE ]

...I assume you mean open-limps.

1) In evaluating in what position would best tie the loose-player on post-flop (in front of the pfr or behind) I realized for me it doesn't matter......because I can't definitively determine the best way to trap the loose-player post-flop because I can't determine on what street the pfr may raise me. In other words, I don't want to lose the loose-player post-flop. However, since you cr-ed the flop I guess you figured: A) you weren't going to lose the loose player or
B) If you did you would make it up vs. the pfr.

If you figured calling 2 cold on the flop wouldn't lose the loose player then I would just 3 bet pre-flop.

2) Turn-check: I don't like it. If the loose-player were good -- I might check. No reason to fear a flush yet. Plus the obvious outs if you're raised.

3) It's Party and it's not NL. I believe a worse full-house or weirdly played flush is as likely to raise you as quads. The river 3 bet seems fine. I'll cut off my clicking finger before I fold to the 4th bet with Aces full on Party. It's the third nut but I'll make the crying call.

Regards,
Jamie
Old 08-09-2004, 06:10 PM

The only different line is betting the flop and going for 3 bets. But you got 4 bets as it is (I'd want 4 bets every time here). Checking the turn is prudent. Capping the river is a must. Other than losing to quads (or was it a steel wheel?), how could you have this hand any other way?
Old 08-09-2004, 06:24 PM

My thought on the river when the button raised was "geez, is it AQ or QQ (2 to 1 on a bayesian analysis) or does *he* have the slowplayed AK with the King of spades?" But I was worried a little. Nevertheless, I also thought that the boys would be wondering where I parked my purse if I were to just call his raise rather than 3 bet. So, I 3 bet...heh...but I didn't really like it.

If this were a live game and cut-off had folded when I 3 bet, I definitely would have just called and not raised the button's 4 bet.
Old 08-09-2004, 06:32 PM

Default oh yeah...quad QQ isn\'t the nuts...

4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] is the immortal nuts. But I'd still cap the river regardless [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img].

Garland
Old 08-09-2004, 07:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
2) Turn-check: I don't like it.... No reason to fear a flush yet.

[/ QUOTE ]

The flop was all spades, and three players capped the flop. You don't think a fourth spade is reason to fear a flush? You've got to be kidding. I think there's reason to fear a flush if the turn had been a diamond.

my 2 cents.
Eric
Old 08-09-2004, 07:11 PM

Hi Eric,

Yeah, for the turn....I obviously didn't read that correctly as the fourth spade on the board.

[I was thinking about it afterward, and even if there had been only two spades on the flop there's at least reason to fear the flush on the turn. But I think I would still bet.]

Regards,
Jamie
Old 08-09-2004, 08:53 PM

If button has A-Q he's going to raise the river, probably putting you on pocket deuces. His pre-flop 3-bet says A-Q more than it says Q-Q too. So I don't think you were wrong to 3-bet the river.

Pre-flop, I prefer to raise here against two opponents, especially a late position limper and a button raiser who going to think I see him as a stealer anyway. I don't think you give away that much in deception by 3-betting in that situation.

On the turn, I'd have to put the cut-off on the king of spades. Ergo check.
Old 08-09-2004, 08:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Loose player calls (?) from the cut-off. Button (whose play I didn't really have much of a read on at the time) raises.

[/ QUOTE ]

Automatic 3-bet. Every time.

Otherwise played fine.