Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2005, 08:55 AM

Default \"Doing Business\" question

I was recently at a club for the first time and players were "doing business" when one player was all in and heads up. I had never heard of this before so I declined when I was offered. What are the pros and cons of doing business? Sometimes it would be 2 or 3 whole boards, or 2-3 turns or rivers. Any advice about this would be really appreciated, I'm pretty lost here.

Durs
Old 10-19-2005, 08:59 AM

Default Re: \"Doing Business\" question

It is simply a deal between players to reduce variance when all the money goes in on what turns out to be a close gamble.

Jeff
Old 10-19-2005, 09:19 AM

I believe another term for this is to "run it".

I actually heard of this for the first time last week. I had pocket kings and pushed all in on the flop. My opponent had a flush draw, he asked if i wanted to "run it".

1st run: he makes his flush
2nd run: I get a king on the river.
3rd run: i get another king on the river.

I won 2/3 of the pot. not bad considering i was all in and he would have won with his flush had i not agreed to "run it"
Old 10-19-2005, 09:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I actually heard of this for the first time last week. I had pocket kings and pushed all in on the flop. My opponent had a flush draw, he asked if i wanted to "run it".

I won 2/3 of the pot. not bad considering i was all in and he would have won with his flush had i not agreed to "run it"

[/ QUOTE ]

Not to be nit-picky, but it's actually "run it twice" or "run it three times," etc, not just "running it."
Old 10-19-2005, 10:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not to be nit-picky, but it's actually "run it twice" or "run it three times," etc, not just "running it."

[/ QUOTE ]

Like I said in the post, it was the first time i heard it and I was asked if I wanted to "run it", I guess in the room I played at, it's a standard run 3 times.
Old 10-19-2005, 10:38 AM

I posted this a while back search it. Its just makes the long run longer. Its for people who are involved in a massive pot and dont want to loose. I run it 3 times. And im all for it. It lowers varience.....
Old 10-19-2005, 12:30 PM

I heard Barry Greenstein say somewhere that he never does it because he wants people to think that when they call all-in they are risking all their money.
Old 10-19-2005, 02:46 PM

Is there etiquette to it? Is it like chopping where if you are going to do it you should always do it regardless of the cards?

Durs
Old 10-19-2005, 03:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is there etiquette to it? Is it like chopping where if you are going to do it you should always do it regardless of the cards?

Durs

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think so. Doing business is very different than chopping the blinds. There is no need for consistency/etiquette and it is unlikely to happen to the same two players more than once in a session.

I don't think I have ever offered to do business and I have only accepted the offer a couple of times. It is to allow you (and your opponent) to reduce variance when that variance can have a significant effect on your (and/or your opponent's) stack/bankroll. It is very dependent on your cards and your opponents.
Old 10-19-2005, 03:26 PM

Will all rooms honor doing business, or are there some rooms which do not allow this?