Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-27-2005, 06:56 PM

Default Motorcycles

Been thinking that when I graudate I want to buy a motorcycle, assuming I lice someplace conducive to riding. Anybody here own one? Good experinces/bad experiences? My dad owned one right after he graduated, and he loved it.
Old 10-27-2005, 07:18 PM

Default Re: Motorcycles

Motorcycles are sweet. Take a safety course.
Old 10-27-2005, 07:24 PM

No matter how much dirtbike experience you have, take lessons. The road safety lessons have saved me from possible death, and major hospital stays more than once.

What kind of bike are you looking at?

Spend minimum $1000 on gear

Maintenance will take you more time and more $$$ than you expect.

Dont buy the fastest shiniest bike you can find for your first bike. Most people drop their first bike at least once.

Have fun. These things are awesome.

rJ
Old 10-27-2005, 07:54 PM

I have one. It is my favorite possession. Drive it everyday I possibly can. Even had to drive home in shitty cold rainy weather on the way home from work the other day. Sucky but still fun. If you keep within your limits size and speedwise and learn how to drive safely there are very few things in life that are any better, IMO. Riding totally kicks ass.

Anyone who tells you not to get one is a pussy. Sounds harsh but it is true. What is worth living about life if you avoid things so truly thrilling?

My Bike

KJS
Old 10-27-2005, 08:07 PM

"take lessons."

Definately. And do more than required (eg we have courses we take for our licence, but they also offer more advanced stuff).

"Spend minimum $1000 on gear"

Yep don't go cheap. Buy a NEW helmut.

"Dont buy the fastest shiniest bike you can find for your first bike. Most people drop their first bike at least once. "

Yep. I dropped my first bike twice and came off once (wasn't my fault). Get something cheap & 2nd hand. If you're looking at sportsbikes, don't just go out and jump on to a 600+ (we can't do it here legally, think you can in the states?). Get a 250 or something at first and take it to the track.

One tip I'll give you, be VERY defensive (pretend everyone is out to get you). Very aware. Riding a bike will make you a much better driver overall.
Old 10-27-2005, 08:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"take lessons."

Definately. And do more than required (eg we have courses we take for our licence, but they also offer more advanced stuff).

"Spend minimum $1000 on gear"

Yep don't go cheap. Buy a NEW helmut.

"Dont buy the fastest shiniest bike you can find for your first bike. Most people drop their first bike at least once. "

Yep. I dropped my first bike twice and came off once (wasn't my fault). Get something cheap & 2nd hand. If you're looking at sportsbikes, don't just go out and jump on to a 600+ (we can't do it here legally, think you can in the states?). Get a 250 or something at first and take it to the track.

One tip I'll give you, be VERY defensive (pretend everyone is out to get you). Very aware. Riding a bike will make you a much better driver overall.

[/ QUOTE ]
mr j, 600's are the smaller bikes in the states. also, once he gets his motorcycle endorsement, he can ride any bike size he wants it wouldnt be the smartest thing to do, but theres no laws against it.
i rode a 600 for my first 5 years or so
Old 10-27-2005, 09:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]

mr j, 600's are the smaller bikes in the states. also, once he gets his motorcycle endorsement, he can ride any bike size he wants it wouldnt be the smartest thing to do, but theres no laws against it.
i rode a 600 for my first 5 years or so

[/ QUOTE ]

There are plenty of 250's and 500's out there. They are the correct choice for a first year rider. However, North America has this bigger is better, mass consumption, poserville attitude.

A rider who learns on a smaller bike will likely become a better rider in the long run. They learn how to go in and come out of corners faster, and get more out of the bike. They can make more mistakes without ending up dead or injured, and mistakes will be made.

rJ
Old 10-27-2005, 09:18 PM

"mr j, 600's are the smaller bikes in the states. also, once he gets his motorcycle endorsement, he can ride any bike size he wants it wouldnt be the smartest thing to do, but theres no laws against it.
i rode a 600 for my first 5 years or so"

Yeh thought so. For sportsbikes, we're basically restricted to 250s for 9 months. In power terms it sucks after about a week (won't stop you riding though), but it's very good for your health [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] You can actually get away with riding a bigger bike, it's just a fine if you're pulled up (something like $250-$350).

Starting on a 600 is like getting a mclaren F1 as soon as you pass your driving test. It's fun but it's easy to [censored] yourself up.

Ah yeh to the OP. Best experiences I've ever had have been on a bike. You can get a rush that sex just can't compete with. I'd think the only thing better would be being a fighter pilot or going skydiving.
Old 10-27-2005, 10:24 PM

I want one, and have wanted one for some time. But while reading either "Proficient Cycling" or "More Proficient Motorcycling" (I can't recall offhand) I found a picture titled "A dangerous intersection" which was taken 2 blocks from my apartment.

Once I'm out of LA, I'm buying one. Take the safety course, wear a helmet, and don't ride drunk. I'm amazed that the last one even has to be mentioned, but something like half of serious motorcycle accidents involve alcohol.
Old 10-27-2005, 10:37 PM

a friend of a friend died 2 weeks ago (i found out during the party of defenestration) while driving on the 101 in heavy traffic. now obviously this is a huge extreme, but remember that when you ride a motorcycle, you are going to drop your bike or get into a car accident at least once, and that's gonna suck.

until i hear otherwise, this is the one reason why i'll never ride a motorcycle.