Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2005, 01:04 PM

Default AK facing shortstack all in.

Playing in a tourney on VC with 6 left. There are 4 Fish, a good VC tourney player and myself. The blinds are 5k 10k my stack is 89k, the good player is utg with 45k. The small blind has 100k big blind 50k and button 130k.

The good player moves all in utg.

I look down and see AcKd. Id call straight away but there is also the important consideration that the players that are left are weak and likely to hemmorage their stacks in classic fashion. With nothing invested what do you think is the best move I can make in this spot? Call fold or All in.
Old 09-08-2005, 01:24 PM

Default Re: AK facing shortstack all in.

All-in. With 4.5 BB (and about to be 3) utg's pushing with a huge range, which includes lots of Ax and Kx goodness.

(I really hope this isn't a bad beat post in disguise).
Old 09-08-2005, 01:29 PM

This is a VERY easy push. First, notice that absolutely everyone is short stacked at this table. This means that you must greatly open up and get chips whenever you think you can or else you will get eaten up by the blinds. Second, people who understand this should know that a push with any reasonable hand is in order when you are the first to enter the pot. The fact that UTG is a good player and knows this coupled with the fact that he is down to only 45K means that his range to push with should be quite liberal. Unless UTG has AA or KK, your AK makes you either a small, large, or very large favorite, or a coinflip, to both acquire chips and eliminate an opponent. You should push to commit yourself to this hand and chase out other players. Even if it is just a coinflip, this is a good spot for a coinflip. The fact that Villian is UTG does not bolster his claim that he has a premium hand. Rather, he could be taking a stand with any two before he hits the big blind.

If you even think about folding you should be shot.

Calling is not the worst option, since it allows others to enter the pot and help you eliminate a player. I may do that if the stacks are deep and there is a significant payout jump from 6th to 5th, but here the stacks are too shallow. You REALLY need to win this pot!
Old 09-08-2005, 01:31 PM

If UTG is as good a player as you believe him to be he's pushing a lot of hands here with an m of only 3 and about to be hit by the blinds, and you dominate or are a coinflip with most of them. 6 handed, with an m of only 6 yourself, and with one of the better starting hands you can get I think this has to be a push, and if shorty BB wants to come along for the ride maybe you can get a 2 for 1 deal.
Old 09-08-2005, 01:34 PM

Plus if he is the only good player at the table it'd be nice to bust him and play vs. fish for the win.
Old 09-08-2005, 01:47 PM

Given the fact that he is a *top* player.... this should make you more inclined to call, rather then less inclined.

He will understand what is required to win a tourney from here, so he isn't forced to be pushing with AA or KK. I should imagine you are far ahead her the majority of the time.

If someone behind you wakes up with a hand, thats just bad luck.

Secondly, with the blinds as high as they are, you aren't going to get much chance of using your skill advantage against the weaker players.

Push it in.
Old 09-08-2005, 01:55 PM

No offense to the OP, but if the OP is asking this sort of question he really should not be relying on his skill advantage at all unless the stacks are VERY deep and the oposition is VERY bad. The OP should play the odds and get this chips in when he has an advantage over any villian's likely range.
Old 09-08-2005, 01:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Given the fact that he is a *top* player.... this should make you more inclined to call, rather then less inclined.

He will understand what is required to win a tourney from here, so he isn't forced to be pushing with AA or KK. I should imagine you are far ahead her the majority of the time.

If someone behind you wakes up with a hand, thats just bad luck.

Secondly, with the blinds as high as they are, you aren't going to get much chance of using your skill advantage against the weaker players.

Push it in.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is a great analysis.

-Scott
Old 09-08-2005, 04:03 PM

Thanks for the replies. This actually was a hand posted on another forum, I thought that this was an auto call not really worthy of thought, just wanted to make sure I was right.
Old 09-08-2005, 04:18 PM

Glad it wasn't you procrastinating HJ, I was shocked for a sec

TNL