Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-23-2005, 10:38 PM

Default Loose Omaha/8 MTT strategy?

Large Omaha/8 MTT w/ loose opponents. Any ideas?
Old 07-23-2005, 11:16 PM

Default Re: Loose Omaha/8 MTT strategy?

Limit or Pot limit? Either way you should be playing extremely tight. Early you can see quite a few flops and only proceed with very strong hands after this point. If you get a chance get all your chips in the middle with any AA(low card) x hand that you can. Always reraise the pot with these hands.

Once the blinds get big your play will vary completely on if you are a big or large stack. If you are a large stack you will be raising quite a bit and playing a bunch of hands. If you are a shortstack you should be waiting for an A2xx or AAxx hand to get your chips in the middle and try and double through.

The play in these tournaments should be fairly straight forward and can be very very profitable because of the poor play of others.

If you have any other specific questions, I'd be more than happy to help.
Old 07-23-2005, 11:18 PM

Limit:

Early - play very tight. You are gonna have people going loosey goosey in the first few levels with marginal holdings. Don't join the mix, hang tight and only get involved with extremely strong draws or locked his/los/scoops.

Like ImSoLucky said earlier, once it starts getting around the inflection point you have to play fairly straightforward. Continue value betting your holdings, and avoid making bluffs/plays at the pot. People will call you down with crap, especially moreso in the o8 tourneys.
Old 07-24-2005, 02:41 AM

Thanks guys. That is what I suspected. I have been playing relatively tight overall, but especially in earlier levels. I basically try to stick w/ A/2/x/x, and loosen up depending on my position, who else is in the pot, etc.

I also was reffering to limit. I have never played a PL O8 tourney but I would imagine it would be a little less frustrating at the lower buy-ins, b/c you can set the odds you want, and not have 2 fish call down to the river w/ nothing, another call down w/ the 5th nut flush, and yet another that catches 1 of 2 outs on the river to beat your nut lo.
Old 07-24-2005, 03:04 AM

Dont play a hand just because it has A2 in it, its important to have a hand that can win high as well, because you will often split the low with other A2's. The 9 is the worst card in hi lo, so try and avoid playing any hands that contain a 9.

If your playing pot limit then position is very important. Once the blinds become substantial you want to never limp, if your hand isnt good enough to open raise, or raise limpers then fold.