Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-20-2004, 11:16 PM

Default Re: The book is paying off.

A few things. First of all, nowhere in Super/System does it say that you should be limping in UTG with Kx suited. Secondly, your flop raise is not what is advocated in Super/System for a number of reasons. Your opponents do not have large stacks at all, and so a fold is almost out of the question. Brunson played his draws like this to get people to fold, the draws only helped as a safety net for when he did get called. If you read the book again, you'll notice that Doyle does not advocate this system for the game you're playing in. The stacks must be much larger in relation to the blinds.

In Super/System, Doyle also cautions about moving in with flush draws, because they're so obvious. He likes moving in with straight draws because it's harder for his opponents to put him on a draw, and therefore less likely to call.

Re-read Super/System before you start playing crazy and go broke. His strategies are not meant for these max buy-in games, and he says so. Somewhere in the book he says that he has trouble winning in games where there's not much money on the table. These games we play in are a different structure than the very large buy-in games that Doyle played.

However, this does not mean that you played the hand wrong. Because your opponents did not have very large stacks, you were actually getting good odds to make that play, but you should know when you make that play that you're most likely going to get called.

Justin A
Old 06-21-2004, 12:06 AM

Default Re: No Way!

"Playing that way is more fun."
I thought the first objective is to win money and having fun is a by-product of that?

Scotty O
Old 06-21-2004, 01:08 PM

If you re-read the NL section of SuperSystem, I believe you will find Kx discussed in the section appropriately titled "Trash Hands".
Old 06-21-2004, 01:33 PM

Let me just put this out there real plain for everyone: ML4L is not Rusty. He is making fun of Rusty. I personally think this is kind of lame. On to the hand...

Pre-flop = bad - no debate there. The call-reraise push is a good play if you're confident MP2 doesn't have a set (note there's a decent chance he does based on his play). If he does, it's still not a disaster as you're ~33% to win (this would be +EV if SB had enough to cover).

It's a disaster if one of them has Ax [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].

If you're not up against a set or Ax [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] you're well over 33% to win and it's a nice time to be all-in.

When you play aggressively with this draw it's because you think you're going to be +EV if you get called (and you know the SB is sticking around cause he's all-in). SS aggressive-draw advice is more geared towards stealing pots, as others have pointed out.

All in all, I don't think this is poorly played. After the flop.
Old 06-21-2004, 02:29 PM

Default Re: Huh?

Hey Rusty, how come it says "ML4L" is the author of the post?

BTW, how do you feel about diamonds? [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Aren't they pretty?
Old 06-21-2004, 02:32 PM

The SS strategy won't work well in most of these games because your opponents won't fold. Playing drawing hands out of position is not a good idea.
Old 06-21-2004, 04:03 PM

Default Just To Clarify Here Too...

Hey all,

At least bunky got the joke that I was making... I have no connection to RustyRussel. I wrote a post assuming his persona in jest and then wrote subsequent posts to see if I could get people to lecture to me about stuff that I already know. Apparently, most people did not find it funny and in fact were perplexed by it. Consider it my first and last post of that nature.

ML4L

PS Yes, tewall, I think diamonds are prettier too... [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 06-21-2004, 06:25 PM

Hey screw all you guys. . .I am the best poker player I know and I can play hands like K-2 of spades b/c I am just THAT DAMN GOOD. OK?

ML4L, I don't appreciate your sarcasm. . come look me up on PokerStars under my signature handle "FatherTime69" if you ever want me to teach you a lesson ala Doyle Brunson. . .

I'm never posting here again. .

Why?

Because you guys are all wannabe poker pros and will never have the skillz that I posses. . . Bottom line, end of discussion.

I'm off to RGP to talk some real poker with some real poker players.
Old 06-21-2004, 06:37 PM

Now that is the funniest damn post i ever saw.

On the count of 3, all at the same time now, repeat after me, “Rusty is a big fat controversy creating Troll”. See, that wasn’t so hard.
Old 06-21-2004, 06:43 PM

Most of the posters here have thick skins, so are used to the sarcasm. As a new poster, you wouldn't know that, nor should you be expected to.

I hope you will forgive the ill-advised fun poking and give it another try. There are some very fine posters in this forum, and others, and there's much to learn.