Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2005, 02:36 PM

Default Re: Stars $16 - Am I beat here?

[ QUOTE ]
This has to be the most obvious check call situation possible.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for all the replies. As it happens I went all in and got called by the flush (Kc6c) - bugger.

I cosidered a check-call briefly, but ruled it out thinking that calling anything other than a minimum bet would leave me hopelessly short-stacked, if not all-in anyway.

I didn't even think about giving him the chance to bluff ... but of course, it seems so obvious now!
Old 11-21-2005, 03:17 PM

Interesting hand/discussion -- I have 2 questions:

1. Does anyone check/fold on the river if put all in? I assume not, but just wondering (maybe if your opponent is tight/passive).

2. Does anyone go all in on the turn rather than bet 3/4 pot? I would have seriously considered it...
Old 11-21-2005, 04:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
2. Does anyone go all in on the turn rather than bet 3/4 pot? I would have seriously considered it...

[/ QUOTE ]

This would probably have been a safer option - you're less likely to get called by draws. But a three-quarter-pot bet still denies the other guy odds for a flush, so, in a cash game at least, you'd welcome the call (assuming you're confident of how to play it if a club falls!)

But since this is the bubble of a SnG you might be right. After all, do you really want him to call for 600, even if it is a mistake. It's probably -EV for both of us. Someone else will have to confirm this, but I'm guessing the real winners are the two guys not involved in the hand.

So yeah, maybe all-in on the turn.
Old 11-21-2005, 04:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But a three-quarter-pot bet still denies the other guy odds for a flush, so, in a cash game at least, you'd welcome the call (assuming you're confident of how to play it if a club falls!)

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes -- this is what was bugging me (although I didn't quite realize it til I read your response).

If you will always check/call all in on the river when the straight/flush draws hit, then even though pot odds are bad for draws (600 to win 1400) the implied odds are not so bad (600 to win 2500 plus eliminate an opponent, make the money, and increase chip lead over other 2 players).

I would find it to be real hard to fold the flush or OESD draws for 600 if I were the big stack there. If I miss on the river, I still have 3000+ chips and am in decent shape. If I hit on the river, I'm in great shape.

Unless you can check/fold on the river when the flush/straight cards hit, I'm not sure the 3/4 pot bet works here in the long run. I think going all in on the turn is best.