Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2005, 02:34 AM

Default Stepping up your game

Short background; I've been playing online for slightly more than a year and have beaten the 1-2 6max over 25kish hands for 2.3bb/100 over the past 6 months or so (don't get to play too often). I have recently moved to party 3-6max since they have introduced it. I feel like I'm beating the game (I'm up in ptracker) but haven't played a substantial amount of hands.

I have read no poker books. I merely learned from playing and reading here. I feel like I don't have a very good grounding in the odds of hands (when to make certain calls when you know you are behind, not obvious ones like straight\flush draws), hand reading ability (perhaps its because people still call with any two preflop at 3/6, I always find myself saying..well he doesn't have a 5 because there's no 5 he would limp with then call a raise), last but not least I sometimes spew chips when I'm not running well (I'm not worried to much about this as I am learning to control it and my bankroll is large enough to play 3-6)

Bad at: Hand reading ability, complex pot odds, occasional spewing

Wbere in your opinion should I go to improve this part of my game? It is an obvious flaw and though I continue to win I know I can't move much further than 5/10 without improving.

I recently ordered "How good is your limit hold'em?", I heard it recommended for this type of limit games. Any other must reads? Am I beyond books like "Small stakes hold'em" or "texas hold'em for advanced players"? What about 'theory of poker'? Do you all feel these are must reads? Anything else you would advise tme to do? I feel like I can win consistently but I am not grounded in the basics.

Last but not least, I really want to increase my HU limit game. I play fairly often (rake is killer at low limits). At this point I don't play it to win money more just for fun\pride of busting someone. Any good books that cover this or other online articles\etc? I think I have it figured out but I seem to beat people who suck and lose to people who are better than me, and I want to be better.

Didn't mean for this to get so long, but thanks in advance for any help.
Old 07-18-2005, 02:46 AM

Default Re: Stepping up your game

[ QUOTE ]
Am I beyond books like..."texas hold'em for advanced players"?

[/ QUOTE ]

What about HPFAP's title suggests you're beyond it?? The "...for Advanced Players" part? Seriously.
Old 07-18-2005, 03:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Am I beyond books like "Small stakes hold'em" or "texas hold'em for advanced players"?

[/ QUOTE ]

\[ QUOTE ]
I feel like I don't have a very good grounding in the odds of hands (when to make certain calls when you know you are behind, not obvious ones like straight\flush draws), hand reading ability

[/ QUOTE ]

I was playing 20-40 when I read SSH it was a huge help, they are smart guys. Your ego and over confidence in your ability, will hurt your development. Wait untill you run bad for 15k hands then see how you confidence is.
I am not saying you are not a good player but from your description of your understanding of the game you have a ways to go. I would start with getting started in hold em, then Small stakes hold em. Then play a lot and re-read them again. Once you have gained confidence in what you learned the you may be able to start HPFAP and TOP.

i
Old 07-18-2005, 12:32 PM

Thanks for the replies. If I sounded egotistical or arrogant I didn't mean to. I feel quite the opposite. I have been winning, which at the low limits isn't that impressive. However I also accept the fact that there are serious flaws in my game.

SSH is the Hold'em part of Super Systems, right?
I'll pickup a copy of that and HFAP.
Old 07-18-2005, 01:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for the replies. If I sounded egotistical or arrogant I didn't mean to. I feel quite the opposite. I have been winning, which at the low limits isn't that impressive. However I also accept the fact that there are serious flaws in my game.

SSH is the Hold'em part of Super Systems, right?
I'll pickup a copy of that and HFAP.

[/ QUOTE ]

SSH == Small Stakes Holdem, written by Ed Miller.