Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-04-2004, 12:54 AM

Default They say it builds character...

But I don't need character, I just need money [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Game level: $2/$4
Total hands: 17,943
VP$IP: 14.94
Won$WSF: 32.47
Amount won: -1,520.41$
BB/100 hands: -2.12
Went to SD: 35.63
Won $ at SD: 46.70
PF raise: 9.08

Yes, thats a downswing of almost 400BB at 2/4. Having just booked two solid winning sessions it looks like this amazing streak has finally come to an end.

If someone out there is going through a rough streak maybe they can look to this and think: "At least its not THAT bad!" [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Has anyone ever experienced anything like this?
Old 12-04-2004, 12:58 AM

Default Re: They say it builds character...

A 400 BB downswing is extremely unlkikely for a winning player. I think you should try a smaller game.

I'm not going to comment on your PT stats because this really isn't the forum for it, in fact this really isn't the forum for the whole question.

Post PT stats in books/software if you want to discuss them.

As for the downswing, well telling us all that you're sad really doesn't give us any way to make you happy.
Old 12-04-2004, 12:58 AM

That is really terrible, David.

Are you improving because you identified leaks in your game? Or, did you just have a really, really, really (emphasis on REALLY - you must be sleeping with the devil, here) bad string of luck?
Old 12-04-2004, 01:06 AM

Sorry to say this, but I think a 17K hand -400BB downswing is highly unlikely for a winning player. Move down and work on your game. If you were previously a winning player over many tens of thousands of hand, then you are now doing something different. Stop it.

Look for holes, this is almost certainly not due to variance.
Old 12-04-2004, 01:08 AM

Evan,

I'm just going to ignore your rude comments and say that I'm posting this here for two reasons. This streak happened at Party 2/4 where the majority of the posters here play, as such I think its relevant. Also this is the forum where I posted the most and a few people here know of me.
Old 12-04-2004, 01:16 AM

Dude, I wasn't trying to be rude. If you think the fact that it was Party 2/4 is important, I dunno, okay I guess? I don't, but that's really my problem I suppose.

As for your second point, this is the forum where I post too, I just had a 200 BB downswing and probably only 5 people in this forum know about it (and that's from private conversations off of these boards).

I just don't see anything constructive in what you posted, mainly since you appear to have no plan of action or desire to find one. It looks pretty much like a bad beat post to me, except its a lot of them rolled together. What construcive and useful responses did you invision this post getting?

Seriously, once again, this is not meant to be rude in the slightest, its just that I don't understand why you think this is an appropriae place for this.

EDIT: Also, I find it pretty funny that you post 18k severely losing hands but qualify the stats by describing your alst 2 sessions of solid wins, therein indicating that the downswing is over. I ope it is too, but that doesn't make a whole lot of sense, don't you think? I mean, did you never have 2 winning sessions in a row at any point in those 18k hands?
Old 12-04-2004, 01:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Sorry to say this, but I think a 17K hand -400BB downswing is highly unlikely for a winning player.

[/ QUOTE ]

I sure hope so! But I have certainly learned that anything is possible.

I haven't posted here a lot so most of you don't know me. But trust me when I say that I know what I'm doing and I'm constantly studying and evaluating my game. I've been making a living playing poker for more than half a year now and prior to this streak I had been winning 3.5BB/100 over 40k hands at 2/4.

My most winning hand during this streak is KK at 1.55BB/hand. AA is second at 1.49BB/hand which is almost half normal.

QQ is my 4th most losing hand at -0.37BB/hand. Other notable hands in the red are TT, 88, 77, AJs and JTs.

Also two pair hands are in the red (-282$).
Old 12-04-2004, 01:43 AM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

yeah I was gonna write that
Old 12-04-2004, 01:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I just don't see anything constructive in what you posted, mainly since you appear to have no plan of action or desire to find one. It looks pretty much like a bad beat post to me, except its a lot of them rolled together. What construcive and useful responses did you invision this post getting?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not really looking for constructive responses. Just wanted to show how bad variance can be even to a solid winning player. Perhaps this is a bad beat post.. but its hell of a beat [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
Also, I find it pretty funny that you post 18k severely losing hands but qualify the stats by describing your alst 2 sessions of solid wins, therein indicating that the downswing is over. I ope it is too, but that doesn't make a whole lot of sense, don't you think? I mean, did you never have 2 winning sessions in a row at any point in those 18k hands?

[/ QUOTE ]

Honestly, I can hardly remember what winning is like! And no, I haven't had two significant winning sessions in a row since before this streak started.

I guess I just felt relieved that I finally had something that looked like an upswing and wanted to share it with the world [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-04-2004, 01:57 AM

http://www.apa.org/journals/psp/psp7761121.html