Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-01-2005, 11:28 PM

Default Worst hands ever: top pair OOP against LAG

Ok I need a line check. Lately, I've been having problems with these kinds of hands. I know I was beat on that turn, but it was an expensive way to find out losing half my stack. Villain is LAG, but he's pretty decent I guess. Any better line than this? Thanks for any help.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $1.00 BB (6 handed) converter

Hero ($99)
CO ($220.10)
Button ($37.25)
SB ($91)
BB ($39)
UTG ($48.30)

Preflop: Hero is MP with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $4</font>, CO calls $4, Button calls $4, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>.

Flop: ($13.50) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $8</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises to $18</font>, Button folds, Hero calls $10.

Turn: ($49.50) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $25</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises to $198.1</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: $272.60

P.S: I didn't bet that much on the flop because that's how much I've been betting for all of my continuation bets.
Old 09-01-2005, 11:44 PM

Default Re: Worst hands ever: top pair OOP against LAG

Depending on my read, I'd either fold the flop, or check-call the turn, check-call reasonable bet on the river.
Old 09-01-2005, 11:50 PM

What's the point of that turn push?

Against these types my default is to check/call it down or fold turn.
Old 09-01-2005, 11:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Depending on my read, I'd either fold the flop, or check-call the turn, check-call reasonable bet on the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. If I called the flop raise, I would be checking the turn, and go into call down mode. It's going to cost you a ton to find out if TPGK is good though, so you probably have to decide on the flop if it's worth it or not.
Old 09-02-2005, 12:33 AM

Ok, my thinking was he either had a draw, a lower pair, a weaker king, or two-pair or set. By betting that turn, I thought that I was charging any draw (because he will most likely check behind for a free card if he was on a draw) and might still get called by hands that I beat. And if I get raised, I know I'm beat. I guess the consensus is to call him down because I'm never folding to that flop min-raise against this guy. There's just too many hands that he can raise that flop with. But if I check-call turn, the rest of my stack is probably going in by the river. So if I check-call turn and he bets again on river, do I call or fold? Thanks for all the comments.

EDIT: Say his turn bet is $40 and i call, and he bets again on river.
Old 09-02-2005, 03:58 AM

Then you'll struggle against me, I semi-bluff all the time.. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Ojo_Rojo
Old 09-02-2005, 04:03 AM

against lags like this you basically decide on the turn if you want to play for a turn pot bet + river pot bet. if so, check call both streets.

I won't lie. there really aren't too many great lines here oop against lag.

if you are finding yourself really having trouble agianst this guy, go to short stack strat.

also, if you know he is lag, don't raise him with stuff like KQo from MP.
Old 09-02-2005, 04:13 AM

I actually would have played it the same way as you did, with no other reads.

Whether I check-fold on the turn, or bet out, depends on the chance I think villain could be semibluffing with the flush draw, as opposed to getting value with something like AK/56. I dont like check-calling down, unless villain is really LAG.

Ojo_Rojo
Old 09-02-2005, 04:25 AM

I think your line is fine.