Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-19-2005, 03:08 AM

Default Choosing a good table using table statistics?

Hi. I have just started playing Microlimit (.01/.02) NL Hold'em at Pokerstars, and I was wondering how I can use the table statistics (average pot, players per flop, and hands per hour) to choose a good table, a good table being a table full of weak-loose players. Thanks a bunch.
Old 02-19-2005, 03:52 AM

Default Re: Choosing a good table using table statistics?

[ QUOTE ]
Hi. I have just started playing Microlimit (.01/.02) NL Hold'em at Pokerstars, and I was wondering how I can use the table statistics (average pot, players per flop, and hands per hour) to choose a good table, a good table being a table full of weak-loose players.

[/ QUOTE ]
They are all profitable.

Look at the full tables of NL with blinds of $5-$10. About 20% of the players see the flop. Look at the full tables of NL with blinds of $0.01-$0.02. About 45%-50% of the players see the flop. What does that mean? Many players are playing any ace and any two suited cards, and they aren't making real raises preflop, or respecting them when made. There is a lot of dead money at penny-ante NL, so I recommend it as a way to build your bankroll if you have less than $25.
Old 02-22-2005, 11:34 AM

what do you mean "dead money"?
Old 02-22-2005, 12:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
what do you mean "dead money"?

[/ QUOTE ]
Pure dead money would be if someone were adding money to the pot, then folding without looking at their cards. It would sweeten the pot without decreasing your chance to win.

In tournaments, "dead money" is a pejorative term for the players who pay the entry fee, increasing the size of the prize pool, but are so inept that they have very little chance to win the tournament.

I used the term to mean players who are far too loose or weak, who contribute to pots without having much of a chance to win them.