Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-18-2004, 01:06 AM

Default Re: lmao at Annie Duke

yes I think the notion that Affleck be labelled a world class player after 6 months of playing (and I'd assume Ben Affleck has better things to do than play cards for 16 hours a day for 6 months) is worthy of outright ridicule and laughter especially when the statement is by another serious player who should know better.
Old 08-18-2004, 01:11 AM

...which is a pretty good definition of "pointless flaming"--don't try to make it out to be anything else.

I'd never dare to say that any of Vehn's posts aren't pointless flaming.
Old 08-18-2004, 01:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Vehn doesn't need me to defend him, but did you see him claim that Affleck isn't a really good player anywhere? Do you think that world class and really good mean the same thing, or did you just feel like some pointless flaming?

[/ QUOTE ]

Vehn said that he was laughing his ass off at Annie Duke's statement. Do you think that implies he believes Affleck is a "really good" player, but just not quite "world class"--or do you think it implies he finds Duke's contention utterly ridiculous? I have no idea if Affleck is a great player or if he totally sucks, and frankly I don't care--but this subsequent "nuanced" distinction between "really good" and "world class" was NOT the point of his initial post: his initial post was to contemptuously dismiss Annie Duke's statement on tonight's show, which is a pretty good definition of "pointless flaming"--don't try to make it out to be anything else.

[/ QUOTE ]

great post here.
Old 08-18-2004, 01:12 AM

I always have a point.
Old 08-18-2004, 01:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
He won the California State Championship which is a 10k buy-in NL event. I would call that world class.

[/ QUOTE ]

Annie,

Numerous top players I've played and spoken with have told me that Ben is a solid tourney player. However, to be fair, this was a 90-person tournament. I don't think you can fairly compare that to the kinds of fields (in terms of both quality and number of top tourney pros) that the televised 10k events are getting, nor does it sound reasonable to call winning that event a "world-class" accomplishment.
Old 08-18-2004, 01:37 AM

I'll simplify this for everyone including annie..
World Class Poker Players:
Dan N.
Dan H.
Phil Ivey
Phil Hellmuth
Annie
Annie's Brother
Doyle
Chip R.
etc etc etc

Very Good Poker Players(and could be very good pro's if they chose too):
Raymer
Moneymaker
D Boyd
Ben Affleck
Screech
etc etc

Not very good poker players but incredibly good looking:
ME

World Class implies someone who is better than the cream of the crop...
in poker it would be those players who can dominate high limit cash games and tourneys...or in some cases players who only play tourneys and regularly finish in the money on a yearly basis.
i.e. Alex Rodriquez is a world class shortstop. He's better than 95% of the rest of PROFESSIONAL MLB shortstops.
The guy who plays shortstop for the Montreal Expos is a good proffesional shortstop, he however is not a world class shortstop.
Old 08-18-2004, 01:45 AM

As far as I'm concerned, the real question is whether Vehn's post is a world-class troll, or merely a very good troll.
Old 08-18-2004, 02:03 AM

can YOU get 600 views and 45 replies in 3 hours by posting "hahahahahahaha"?
Old 08-18-2004, 03:06 AM

I am with you on this Annie, these guys are trolling on you a bit....

Age and experience don't always amount to much! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

>Trainwreck<
Old 08-18-2004, 04:47 AM

imveryho i think annie does not belong in yout top group here, i think she is a step below most of those players. and to sound like a piston if she was a guy she might not be grouped with these players. im out on a limb here and im sure to be blasted but if you look at the accomplishments of these other players (especially tournament wise) i dont think she belongs to the same group so far. if you want to pick worldclass players as the top .001 percent of poker players i think you have chosen wisely. i think you are biased to include annie with those others.
just my opinion,
jason
PS to Annie Duke congratulations on you win this year, and please dont be offended i dont think you would yourself group Annie Duke with the names mentioned at the top of this list. my humble apologies if i am wrong