Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-18-2004, 12:17 AM

Default Re: lmao at Annie Duke

wow you could not have used a worst example as I played live 30/60 limit hold'em with Scott Fischman last month and (for the 3 hours I played with him) he played awfully and was nothing even resembling a WCPP. Once again I am not saying Affleck isn't a good player, but you should know the term "world class poker player" has a special meaning for poker pros and is not bandy'd about lightly. The fact that you just anointed this actor who's been playing for 6 months as the "best of the best" is an insult to anyone who plays the game seriously and you should know that.
Old 08-18-2004, 12:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Would you say Ted Lawson is a world class player? He also has won a tour event. If Affleck begins cashing at the same rate as some of the other "World Class Players", I will also believe he is one.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ted Lawson has never won any "tour" event. Nice try though.
Old 08-18-2004, 12:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Because "world class" at ANYTHING is not obtainable in 6 months of instruction.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lets see in this corner we have Annie Duke, Dan Harrington, Doyle Brunson and several other "world" class poker players saying the guy is a really good player and in this corner we have.. ..Whats a Vehn?

[/ QUOTE ]

Vehn doesn't need me to defend him, but did you see him claim that Affleck isn't a really good player anywhere? Do you think that world class and really good mean the same thing, or did you just feel like some pointless flaming?
Old 08-18-2004, 12:23 AM

He won the California State Championship which is a 10k buy-in NL event. I would call that world class.

I've never seen him play and I have no interest in debating how good he is, but the above statement is pretty amazing. Are you really saying that winning a $10K buy in event automatically makes a player world class? Should we assume that you also consider all WPT and WSOP main event winners to be world class players?
Old 08-18-2004, 12:25 AM

I have never played a cash game with Scott but I have played tournament poker with him. I would say that winning two WSOP events, winning at the Mirage and splitting another tourney and winning a tourney at the Orleans all in a few short months means that Scott is not a one hit wonder. That makes him a world class tournament player in my book.
Old 08-18-2004, 12:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Because "world class" at ANYTHING is not obtainable in 6 months of instruction.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lets see in this corner we have Annie Duke, Dan Harrington, Doyle Brunson and several other "world" class poker players saying the guy is a really good player and in this corner we have.. ..Whats a Vehn?

[/ QUOTE ]

Vehn doesn't need me to defend him, but did you see him claim that Affleck isn't a really good player anywhere? Do you think that world class and really good mean the same thing, or did you just feel like some pointless flaming?

[/ QUOTE ]

See my second post. This whole best of the best and honor of the game and what it means.. Geez give it a rest. Maybe she got a little carried away because he is her star pupil but the underlining thing I read into it was that he had become a really good poker player an opinion seconded by other pros with no vested interest in Ben. Vehns first post was nothing but a pointless flame so why not respond in kind? Now he is pulling out all this other crap a little late and it rings hollow. What I hear is sour grapes and jealously. Affleck had the money to try and make his dream come true. Sorry if the fact he didn't start at the bottom and grind his way up level after level offends you for some reason.
Old 08-18-2004, 12:29 AM

Of course I would not say that winning one tourney makes you world class. But I have seen him play in many situations and that is my judgment of him.

Annie Duke
Old 08-18-2004, 12:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Once again I am not saying Affleck isn't a good player

[/ QUOTE ]
you can keep arguing this point forever but you still agree. you're just using different terms.
Old 08-18-2004, 12:35 AM

How many times can I say the same thing over and over? The term WORLD CLASS has a special meaning to serious poker players and is not to be used lightly. It is not "different terms". Does affleck even know how to play games other than hold'em?
Old 08-18-2004, 12:36 AM

Hi Annie,

I know this is a dumb debate, but I am world-class when it comes to saying dumb things, so my hat's in the ring.

I think offering Scott Fischman as evidence is questionable. Having not played with him live, I can see from his decisions in the NL Hold'em event he won that he is merely very good.

A good player throws away those Jacks when he did; a world-class player doesn't show them to a habitual bluffer, if he needs a better hand than that to snap him off. Similarly, a world-class player doesn't try to play big pot after big pot when he's heads up with Joe Awada. Even a silly Buzzsaw knows that.

I know that when it comes to teaching guys named Ben, your rep is solid.