Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2005, 07:06 PM

Default All-in with A-K 1st rd

Last week I was in Vegas playing 2-3 30-50 person FO tournaments per day at Luxor & Mandalay Bay. By-ins were $30 - $60 and events were populated with lots of 1st timers, tourists & 'TV poker players'. The following situtation came up in the first round of one event: blinds are 10/15, staring stacks are $300 & we have played 4 hands. In the cut-off seat I'm dealt A-K os. It's folded to me and I raise to $45. Button, SB & BB calls (BB is now all-in). Flop comes Ace, rag, rag with 2 hearts (I do not have a heart). It's checked to me and I bet $100, everyone calls. Turn is another blank, its checked to me and I bet the remainder of my stack ($130). Button folds, SB thinks for a few seconds & calls, BB is all-in. SB flips over 10-8 hearts. You can guess what came on the river ...
Question: did I play this right? ( I was sure the SB was on a flush draw after he called my flop bet)
Old 11-04-2005, 07:12 PM

Default Re: All-in with A-K 1st rd

After his questionable preflop play, I don't see where the small blind did anything wrong.

With two hearts on the flop, maybe you could have pushed there for a bet over the pot size. Then maybe the draws will feel they can fold. But he probably still calls given your description of the situation and players.
Old 11-04-2005, 07:14 PM

Default Re: All-in with A-K 1st rd

Yes, you played it fine. This is a bad beat story, and people are going to rag on you for it. And out of curiosity, did you leave out that the rags were a 7 and a 9 and what he actually hit was a Jack of spades for the nut straight? :P