Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-05-2003, 01:09 PM

Default Trick Quiz

What would you routinely do in these situations. There are "bad" players in the game but NO terrible players (such as Maniacs or really-weak-really-tight players). Ignore any "randomizing your play" situations, such as bluffing 10% of the time. What would you do most of the time. Situations are for full games.

Take a shot at it even if you don't post your answers, before you read my "Answers".

[1] Holdem: UTG raises, Reasonable MP calls, you expect the BB to call, you have KT on the CO. [1a] Fold [1b] Call [1c] ReRaise.

[2] Holdem: You have K5 in the BB, 3 players call, you check. Flop is Q97. [2a] Bet [2b] Check and fold [2c] Check figuring there is some reasonable chance, depending on the action, for you to either call or raise.

[3] Holdem: There are 3 reasonable callers who WOULD have raised with a premium hand. You have posted in LP with Q6 and check, 5 take the flop. Flop is Q87 everyone checks to you. [3a] Check [3b] Bet.

[4] Same as 3, but you flop 2-pair Q86 [4a] Check [4b] Bet.

[5] Holdem: there is an UTG caller, you have KK in EP. [5a] Fold [5b] Call [5c] Raise.

[6] Holdem: everyone folds to you on the Button and have TT. [6a] Fold [6b] Call [6c] Raise.

[7] 7-Stud: 2 players fold and you have spit Aces with a 7. Nobody's cards are duplicated and there is a K and a T behind you. [7a] Fold [7b] Call [7c] Raise.

[8] 7-Stud: There has been a 4 raises along the way and you are confident the heads-up opponent has split AcesUp. You make the disguised flush on 6th street. [8a] Fold [8b] Call [8c] Raise.

[9] 7-Stud: Same as [9] except YOU have the obvious AcesUp and the opponent, who you figured for QsUp raises on 6th when he catches a 3rd Heart. You now figure he's probably got the flush. You call. You don't improve the river and check and he bets. [9a] Fold [9b] Call [9c] Raise.

[10] 7-Stud: you are low with slit pair of 2s and a wounded 6. and the opponenent with an T raises. If he doesn't have a pair then he's sure to have a 3-flush or 3-straight. Its now heads-up after the J folds to the raise. [10a] Fold [10b] Call [10c] ReRaise.

[11] Omaha Hi/Low: 3 callers and you have AJ85 (Jack is suited) in LP. You don't expect a raise. [11a] Fold [11b] Call [11c] Raise.

- Louie
Old 12-05-2003, 01:10 PM

Default Re: Answers

Oops, I mispelled the name of the quiz. Its not a "Trick Quiz" its a "Tricky Quiz".

The correct answer to every question is real obvious. If you did NOT get ALL of them (confidently) correct then [1] You are too ignorant [2] Don't have enough Discipline [3] Way too loose, or [4] probably play too "Tricky". You LOOK for excuses to do the non-rouine thing. And I suggest you do some serious introspective right now.

- Louie

PS. Flame away, I'm ready.
Old 12-05-2003, 01:40 PM

Default Re: Trick Quiz

1a, 2b, 3b, 4b, 5c, 6c, 7c, 8c, 9b, 10a, 11a.
Old 12-05-2003, 01:42 PM

I only play hold em, so I'll give my answers for the first 6
1a
2b
3b
4b
5c
6c
Old 12-05-2003, 01:48 PM

1) a - easy fold, KT is poo
2) b - check-fold, board has too many draws to expect 3 people to fold to a bet, You K is your only real out and is likely no good anyway.
3) b - bet, i see no reason to think someone else has a Q here.
4) b - bet, 2-pair isn't good enough to be slowplaying can't be giving free cards
5) c - raise, the UTG caller makes this an even easier choice than normal
6) c- raise, not even close.

I'm not nearly as experienced in Stud so who knows if i'm right on these.
7) c - raise
8) c - raise, with a disquised flush I think this is an easy raise. it seems much more likely he will call with his 2-pair than fold or have filled up.
9) a - I think you can lay this down unless you opponent is oblivious or crazy.
10) a - fold, seems like one of those slight favorite or big underdog situations.

11) a - fold, middle cards are bad. all you really have is an AJs which might be a pretty good hold'em hand but seems pretty bad in omaha

Old 12-05-2003, 01:50 PM

Default Re: Answers

so what are the answers?
Old 12-05-2003, 02:22 PM

1. fold
2. check-fold
3. bet
4. bet
5. raise
6. raise
7. raise
8. call
9. call
10. fold
11. fold
Old 12-05-2003, 02:25 PM

I differed with you on 8 & 9. I may agree on 8 after thinking it through, but in 9 I think the pot's big enough that you have to call.
Old 12-05-2003, 02:33 PM

Yeah, I don't play enough stud to know for sure. MY first thought was that the pot is big and you need to call, the thing that pushed my decision was the fact that i had an OBVIOUS aces up. If I oviously have aces up and a non-tricky opponent raises me anyway whats the point in calling.
Old 12-05-2003, 02:41 PM

Because he's only "Probably" got the flush.