Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-2003, 12:45 PM

Default Discipline

Had a tulmutrous week-end. Saturday I was in a pretty good predictable game but found myself down 40BB, partly due to beats but mostly due to flopping nothing or missing my draws. Anyway, I stayed disciplined and focuses, actively resisting the negative thoughts and desires to go on tilt. I managed to turn that session around to a 30BB winner. Now while I was not playing "great" I feel that it was my best session in months just because I kept my composure.

Has a similar session Sunday: got stuck 30BB and turned it around to even just like the day before. But then I got stuck 25BB again. This time the negative thoughts started taking over, I noticed that "84s didn't hold up", got demoralized. So I quit early.

The point is that monitoring and managing your own attitude (as I successfully did) is worth a WHOLE lot more than eaking out some extra EV with clever plays.

Failing to lose $20 spends just as well as spectacularly earning $20.

- Louie
Old 09-22-2003, 01:15 PM

Default Re: Discipline

The point is that monitoring and managing your own attitude (as I successfully did) is worth a WHOLE lot more than eaking out some extra EV with clever plays.

The thing that gets to me the most is not lack of cards or missed flops/draws; it’s getting beat by improbable hands. Since I play exclusively online, I start to get paranoid.

Do you have any tips for managing your own attitude, and for determining, before it’s too late, that it’s time to call it a day?

TY,
pf
Old 09-22-2003, 02:46 PM

Things that I watch for.

Playing passively where I should be playing aggressively.

Playing more loosely than normal.

Ignoring position, or playing as though I am closing the action, when I am not.

Not using all of the information available to me, playing two tone flops, the same as rainbow flops.

Refusing to believe that I am beat, or calling on the end just to see what POS my opponent has this time.

All of these thing indicate to me, that I am no longer playing my A game, or for the most part, not even my C game, and if I am not able to fix them RIGHT NOW, it is time to take a break. Basically, whenever you see yourself making mistakes that you would want your opponents to make, then it is time to evaluate whether or not you should be playing right now.
Old 09-22-2003, 03:02 PM

Default Thanks Bob T. *N/M*

Old 09-22-2003, 03:15 PM

"The point is that monitoring and managing your own attitude (as I successfully did) is worth a WHOLE lot more than eaking out some extra EV with clever plays."

So true. Its easy to play when you are catching cards, but its how you play when you are not that determines your success.
Old 09-22-2003, 03:33 PM

Strange as it may sound I actually have more problems when I'm running good than when I'm running bad. I tend to become a maniac when I'm running good (which is reflected in my recent posts here). But I'm working on that.

Best Regards
Joshua
Old 09-22-2003, 05:07 PM

I don't have problems with anger, suckouts, or the normal stuff. For me I am either focused or I am not. I tend to lose focus after a few hours, winning or not.

When I find myself not focusing on what is going on, I give myself one more round of play to decide what I really want to do. If I don't feel like concentrating on the game, I leave and go do something else, the game is always going (usually). Lately I am gone by the time the BB is one away.

I don't know if JV was the first, but I seem to recall him talking about a$$ glue. That was my second problem. It has helped my swings tremendously, just leaving the game. I no longer 'wake up' to realize I've blown three sessions worth of wins, the game is really crappy, and my prospects are slim.

Not to trek into an an online 'conspiracy' thread, but as Andy Grove was thought to have said once, "Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they are not out to get you." Being a fellow 'paranoic' I think there are as many ways to get cheated online as there are in a B & M, fwiw. PS - that is opinion, no need to argue.
Old 09-22-2003, 06:07 PM

I don't know if JV was the first, but I seem to recall him talking about a$$ glue. That was my second problem. It has helped my swings tremendously, just leaving the game. I no longer 'wake up' to realize I've blown three sessions worth of wins, the game is really crappy, and my prospects are slim.

Yup, that’s certainly one of my problems. I think pride keeps me from leaving when I’m tired, losing it to frustration, etc.

Not to trek into an an online 'conspiracy' thread, but as Andy Grove was thought to have said once, "Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they are not out to get you." Being a fellow 'paranoic' I think there are as many ways to get cheated online as there are in a B & M, fwiw. PS - that is opinion, no need to argue.

No argument here, I agree with you. Best to always keep ones eyes open.

TY,
pf