Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-14-2005, 05:57 PM

Default I was going to create a topic about intelligent design and creationism

Then I realised that they have nothing to do with science and that pseudoscience is not identical to philospohy.
Old 08-14-2005, 08:39 PM

Default Re: I was going to create a topic about intelligent design and creationism

Not true. (And by the way, the sarcasm is noted.)

The theory that the universe was designed and created by an intelligent being is based on science. Judging by your post I'm sure you've already been there, but see this.

And this.
Old 08-14-2005, 09:01 PM

Default Re: I was going to create a topic about intelligent design and creationism

"The theory that the universe was designed and created by an intelligent being is based on science.'

Whether the universe was designed is not, to most scientists a settled question. Whether specific animals were designed (the topic of the OP), to almost all scientists, is.
Old 08-14-2005, 11:01 PM

There is a reason Stephen Hawking has not won a Nobel Prize. His theories lack sufficient evidence to be proven. Evolution has a similar problem.
Old 08-15-2005, 12:54 AM

Default Re: I was going to create a topic about intelligent design and creatio

[ QUOTE ]
The theory that the universe was designed and created by an intelligent being is based on science.

[/ QUOTE ]
What's the theory of Intelligent Design and how can we test it?
Old 08-15-2005, 05:27 AM

Evolution is a fact in the scientific community. I'm not talking micro evolution, I'm talking about the fact that organisms evolved from single celled organisms to what we see today. This is not in dispute amongst scientists, or any person with a brain. Even the Catholic chuch accepts it.

The theory of precisely how this evolution occurred is still being worked out. We've come a long way though (genetics, sexual selection, cell differentiation, etc).
Old 08-15-2005, 08:20 AM

For the universe, see my earlier post.

For mankind, see here and here.
Old 08-15-2005, 08:26 AM

"This is not in dispute amongst scientists, or any person with a brain."

Wow. You guys get testy when someone questions the theory of evolution. Lol. Listen, I'm not saying your wrong, only that there is scientific value to alternate theories. As for it not being in dispute with anyone with a brain, I'd love for everyone with a brain to look at the evidence and decide for themselves. See this for instance.
Old 08-15-2005, 01:16 PM

Models that quote the bible add no objective merit to the argument. Neither does adding scientific notation to dates taken from the bible.
Old 08-15-2005, 01:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There is a reason Stephen Hawking has not won a Nobel Prize. His theories lack sufficient evidence to be proven. Evolution has a similar problem.

[/ QUOTE ]

Now first off, from reading my postings here, you should know that I am a conservative catholic, though one who believes in evolution. So I believe that there is God who created the universe, but that He used the big bang, chemical processes to bring about organic life, and evolution of the species to bring about [censored] sapiens, rather than direct creation of our or other species. ID is in fact psuedo-scientific drivel put out by fundamentalists who make literalist interpretations of the bible and who don't realize that true doctrine should not be in conflict with true science.

And your quote above about evolution is wrong. Just because all the steps in certain evolutionary processes have yet to be discovered, does not mean that evolution of the species through genetic mutation and natural selection is untrue. Furthermore, it has actually been observed in species with fast reproductive cycles such as various fly species as well as plants. Check it out.