Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-22-2004, 01:02 PM

Default HELP Newbe

I'm finally online at home and will be playing intenet poker; no doubt at 15/30 and 20/40 level within the month.

I have no idea what I'm doing online. Which room offers the most mid-level games? What options do I have in establishing an account? Can I have multiple accounts? Is there some sort of On-Line poker FAQ? Do I need a good firewall? What else do I need to know?

- Louie
Old 04-22-2004, 06:13 PM

Default Re: HELP Newbe

The first thing to do is to set up a Neteller account.
This (neteller.com) enables you to move money easily from one site to another.

When I say easily, I mean instant deposits and 1-2 day withdrawals at most sites.

Although you will be playing high enough that it isn't too important to pick up bonus money, you might as well still have the option.

Party is pretty much the best for 15-30, but you should download as many sites as possible for maximum game selection.
If you have Neteller set up, moving money around is so much easier that you can almost move from room to room as if you are walking down the Strip.

A firewall is important and I'm not the one to help with things like that, we do have some resident techies, they should be able to help.

When you say what options do you have, what do you mean?
Some sites allow you to send drivers license and other info to enable your deposits to clear quicker and some sites require it.
Personally I keep clear of the one's where it is required, so always check out the terms and conditions if you stray away from the big four (paradise, party, pokerstars and ultimatebet.)

If you want a list of where the action is, visit pokerpulse.com.

Any other problems, feel free to ask more, it's rather quiet in here at the moment, hence all the off-topic nonsense.

Welcome to the zoo, enjoy your stay.

Lori
Old 04-22-2004, 06:19 PM

I should also point out that if you are going to be playing a lot, you may wish to search under 'affiliate' in this forum before signing up anywhere.

I don't really agree with the whole thing, so will not help further on that, but there's plenty of information available
within these walls.

Once you have made your decision, I'll be happy to answer PM's regarding your chosen person's trustworthyness.
Hopefully you can find someone you trust from the forums you frequent more regularly so that won't be neccessary.

Lori
Old 04-22-2004, 06:45 PM

The information you want is scattered, but Lori has given you a good start.

Standard newbie advice can be found in this thread.
And in this post.

A lot of this won't apply to you, but you're the best judge of that.

I hope you'll be posting your experiences and impressions of online poker. I think that would be worth reading! Good luck.

Old 04-22-2004, 11:09 PM

Louie Landale as a "newbie" is kind of an odd thought. When I first started with the 2 + 2 forum in 1998, he was already a regular poster.

Lori's advice is (always) good. Try the big four and you will find your own preferences quickly.

Just take the free bonus $ that is given at the start. Often a $75 sign up and/or a 20% buy in bonus - you deposit $500 and the site gives you $100 after you have played so many hands. Get someone you trust to refer you as a "tell-a-friend" or as an affiliate.

If you get no suggestions, or too much info, or can't decide ---try Party first, then Paradise, then Stars.

If you are completely new to online poker, you should probably play a limit or so lower than usual for a while. Go ahead and play 3-6 or 5-10 for 100 hands or so. There are some big differences playing online. You'll see.