Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-27-2005, 11:22 PM

Default sshe by miller

im reading this book now .. and it has alot of advice for playing in loose games ..... what if you stumble into a tight low limit game ... would there ideas still work or would u totally have to change your play
Old 11-27-2005, 11:25 PM

Default Re: sshe by miller

If you stumble into a tight low-limit game you should:

1. Online: Change tables.

2. Live: Lay off the shrooms because there any apparent "tight low-limit live table" is a figment of your drug-skewed imagination.
Old 11-27-2005, 11:26 PM

"A good idea is a good idea...forever."

Will
Old 11-30-2005, 04:22 AM

A lot of the basic/fundamental advice applies -- especially in relation to pot odds, implied odds, etc. However, one of the key differences is that in a loose game -- especially those in B&M rooms, 95% of the time you have to show down a real hand to win. In a tight game, there are more opportunities for succesful bluffing/semi-bluffing.
Old 11-30-2005, 05:09 AM

I have read the book (as probably a lot of people here...), and have learned more from it than from any other book.

But I wonder a bit on some of the presumptions - mabye the same as jodiepop. In fx a 2/4 game I seldom run into competition playing *that* poorley. In the book you sometimes feel everyone else at the table is making every possible mistake... Mabye I'm making so many mistakes myself, so I dont see how awful others play...

Does anyone know a thread in here, or have an idea about the premises for the statement "you can easily make 50K a year playing 3/6". Does that mean 8-tabling 24/7 or just picking brigth spots when you get off work????
Old 11-30-2005, 05:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Does anyone know a thread in here, or have an idea about the premises for the statement "you can easily make 50K a year playing 3/6". Does that mean 8-tabling 24/7 or just picking brigth spots when you get off work????

[/ QUOTE ]

Assuming you can beat 3/6 for 2BB/100. 4 tables gives about 250 hands per hour, which gives 5 BB/hour or $30/hr. If you play 40 hours a week thats $1200/week. If you play 48 weeks per year thats $57k /year. That doesn't include things like bonuses that would stack on top that. I can't do it, but it should easily be possible for a good player.

For live poker, you obviously need to play at higher levels because you get so many fewer hands per hour. However, in my experience the BM players at a given level are far worse than their online equivalent. The $15/$30 game at my local cardroom is the biggest donkfest I have ever seen. Comparable to a $1/$2 Party game. Seriously. You should be able to take $30/hour out of that game, so you make about $50-60k per year there too.
Old 11-30-2005, 07:10 AM

Yeah...well.. 2bb/100 on four tables. Guess table selection is somewhat the key to this [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-30-2005, 08:23 AM

Even a tight low limit game is rather loose. You shouldn't have problems. If it's too tight, don't sit there.