Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2005, 05:23 AM

Default Re: Tight-Agressive Outdated?

”Is this the way to play optimum tournament and middle limit poker for 2005?”

Who cares! But I will say this…

It sounds like Daniel is coming across as some sort of banner for a new generation of poker players….

I think that’s a good thing. It’s great for him and great for the game. It’s great for the players to have spokespersons, role-models, and Icons….plural.

I’m a low-mid Limit relatively conventional tight player who plays in a mundane un-flashy grinding manner. I am licking my chops at having Daniel, or any other high profile player wave this banner of unconventional play at the current ocean of newcomers. Many of those newcomers are thinking “72 in this spot? I forget why, but it’s no fun to just sit here anyway”. Who cares?! I can play 72 better than those guys for all the right reasons.

On the other hand I do agree that to beat the best (most crafty & skilled) you have to instinctively employ skills that are integral to an “open” game. Clearly only a minute portion of today’s population of poker players can effectively employ these “unconventional” skills…. So once again I’m sitting here thinking: “who cares?! I don’t have ESP down quite yet anyway.”

If I was playing with the pro’s and in the biggest games on a daily basis (including big-buy in tournament poker) I probably would be sitting there thinking: “who cares?! Once they pick his brain and communicate his strategy in a meaningful way…I’ll just learn better how to counter it.”
Old 11-15-2005, 10:54 AM

This style of play is following very close to Mike Carros advice.
This realy is nothing new but is becomming a more visible style of play.
Old 11-15-2005, 11:51 AM

[quoteI’m a low-mid Limit relatively conventional tight player who plays in a mundane un-flashy grinding manner. I am licking my chops at having Daniel, or any other high profile player wave this banner of unconventional play at the current ocean of newcomers. Many of those newcomers are thinking “72 in this spot? I forget why, but it’s no fun to just sit here anyway”. Who cares?! I can play 72 better than those guys for all the right reasons.

[/ QUOTE ]

i agree totally about the new players (and usually young males) watching daniel and thinking "you can play any card" but just be aggressive.

but 3 things:

daniel is playing top players who respect what a raise means (this point is a little muddled, but the other players respect daniel)

a guy like daniel has absolutely exceptional reads. i get the idea most of these young guys have barely read a book let alone thought about poker that much. i think many of them have just seen crazy plays on TV work.

most importantly, these pro's work position so hard it's unbelievable. i suppose these young kids could work position really hard, but if they are seeing 60% of flops and work position hard everytime they have it, then there's really nothing to fear.... yes, you will occasionally walk into AA, AK, KK from a terrible player, but that's just poker. (funny i've waited an hour and a half to get a good shot at an awful loose-passive player, and then they had AA, not a good feeling)