Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-10-2005, 05:46 AM

Default Re: JJ 20-40

[ QUOTE ]
what do you think?

[/ QUOTE ]

I just have one question for you Mike and this is test to see how well you back your words and ultimately your balls?

By the 8th raise, if you are 70% sure you have your opponent beat and he says, "you wanna go all-in?", what do you do?

Lawrence
Old 01-10-2005, 09:01 AM

Default Re: results and a comment

[ QUOTE ]
Reese knew he was beat

[/ QUOTE ]

Just to hijack this for a second, when I first saw that and saw he (a) knew and (b) was going to fold, I knew there is definitely a Superstar class of player out there as there is no way on earth I wouldn't have gotten in all of my money with Kings and that board and done so with far less trepidation than he did. Astounding play.

Digression ended.

Barron Vangor Toth
www.BarronVangorToth.com
Old 01-10-2005, 12:27 PM

Default Re: when to say when and no turn checkraise

"i ignored my strong read i had the nuts and slowed down first. there was an ATs hand i had at commerce earlier this year where i stopped at like ten bets and it turned out i had the guy drawing to 5 outs and another i never posted where i went like 20 bets on the flop with some guy with A5 on an A52 board or something and he had AK and i felt dumb then too. in both cases i knew i was ahead but some pussy part of me made me stop too soon. oh wait there was one more playing 200-400 where went like 6 or 7 bets and the board was A64 and i had AK and he had AQ and i stopped first. omg i just want to scream thinking about it."

You're entitled to your feelings, but it seems silly to feel dumb stopping at 20 bets with A-5 on an A-5-2 board. You still only have 71 percent of your hand.

Don't you feel your skills would be well suited for no-limit or pot-limit poker?
Old 01-10-2005, 12:43 PM

Default Re: when to say when and no turn checkraise

"Don't you feel your skills would be well suited for no-limit or pot-limit poker?"

maybe. but there's a lot more to those games then just putting a lot of money in all at once. i have played some no limit $500 max buy in down here and enjoyed it a lot, and i did feel like i had an understanding of the game that most of my opponents did not, but that came from good general hold em understanding of things like implied odds not some natural talent or something.
Old 01-10-2005, 12:51 PM

"By the 8th raise, if you are 70% sure you have your opponent beat and he says, "you wanna go all-in?", what do you do?"

if im 70% sure i would hopefully go all in. it's just $1000 big deal ive lost $3000+ on one hand more than a few times. but if im 70% sure it would also mean im 30% unsure. i guess the question is too hypothetical because i believe this opponent would never say that without the nuts so as soon as he did i would stop being 70% sure and start being something like 95%+ sure im beat. indicating a fold.

see i know this about the kid: he has a very short bankroll, it's usually all on the table or almost all there. so he plays and gets his kicks and sometimes wins but sometimes goes broke and comes back and does it again a few days later. i dont know where he gets the money but ive seen him in action. he doesnt just sit there and get stuck $3000. he is certainly a long term losing player but he's streaky guy who believes in going on rushes and playing a lot of hands. that's my profile and im sticking to it. he likes to play a lot of hands and risk a lot of chips but he doesnt go to the felt all in one hand without the nuts, even against me.
Old 01-10-2005, 04:12 PM

Almost perfect Mike. I like it up to the seventh bet. I would have check called from there. Is this style good for an average 20/40? I know it is essential for 150/300 and up. Are you sure your opponent isn't really good?