Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-21-2004, 02:22 AM

Default Re: you can never be too careful

[ QUOTE ]
As for the hand, your play could be terrific or horrific, depending on how the button plays.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's neither. It's angelic, er I mean angeloic.
Old 12-21-2004, 03:50 AM

why no checkraise on the river? Do you really put him on a 6? I can see the logic in everything else, but this I can't figure out.
Old 12-21-2004, 04:02 AM

There seems to be a trend where people are reluctant to rip tommy's play. This hand, along with some others he has posted, make no sense. Please convince me otherwise.
Old 12-21-2004, 04:16 AM

I think that as a whole, this board may be too concerned with aggression....I think some of tommy's posts point that out...

For this hand, he was able to get a player on the button to bet 77 on every street when the board read K-6-6,K,6....If I had played this hand, I would have bet the flop, and bet the turn, and the button most likely would have folded.....It would never occur to me to check either the flop or the turn...I would be too concerned with losing bets....but maybe I lose those bets no matter what if I bet....

I like this line...it's not the standard line I would take, but it looks like it works....If you don't like this line, please provide an alternative that garners the same amount of bets.....
Old 12-21-2004, 04:24 AM

Tommy,

Barry and sublime will attest; you haven't played at Foxwoods enough.

Peace,
Joe Tall
Old 12-21-2004, 05:09 AM

the problem with this line, is that you never give your opponent a chance to overplay his hand. 77 might have gone 3 bets with you on one of those streets if you let him. Lots of other hands do the same. I don't know your read on the button, nor the game texture, but people must be given a chance to overplay their hands or make bad coldcalls because it's something they like to do. I c/r raise the flop and bet the turn. If everyone folds so be it. A lot of the time the CO calls two cold on the flop and someone raises the turn to try to push you off 99 or something. depending on who was doing the raising this might be the place for a smoothcall/bet out.

given that we've arrived at the river, i say you must checkraise the river.
Old 12-21-2004, 07:53 AM

B&M is very different than PP15. A player at a live 20/40 game is very unlikely to overplay 77 on a board like this against a passive player such as Tommy.

As for the hand, you got the most you could, most likely. Accept, I would have certainly raised the river. he may have easily made a crying call looking for a chop.
Old 12-21-2004, 08:15 AM

I like the play a lot. The flop check was great, it kept the cutoff in and induced the Button to bet 2nd pair when he was in reaaly bad shape.

I assume you didnt want to shut thee CO off on the turn w/ a raise nor wake the button up if you put him on a pair between 7s and Js.

Ijust don't think you can pass up a river check raise because not many 20 players are going to have a six in their hand unless they have 5 sixes here [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img].

You would have got called too.

In summary, I think the passivity was brilliant on all streets except the river.
Old 12-21-2004, 08:26 AM

What I want to know is what Tommy would do if a blank came on the turn...check/call again? Was his plan to check/call-check/call-bet assuming turn/river are blanks?

care to enlighten me Tommy?

-DrG
Old 12-21-2004, 09:33 AM

"What I want to know is what Tommy would do if a blank came on the turn...check/call again?"

If the turn and river had both been blanks, I would have checkcalled both streets. I did not have any particular read on the button player, in general, or on this hand, except that he was betting and the board was K-6-6, so I played him for a king or a six.

Tommy