Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-2004, 01:13 AM

Default Couple times a year..

I'm real aggressive. No trouble folding bottom pair, also no trouble raising with it. I never go a session without raising the turn with a single pair, and am very willing to raise the river for value with just a pair as well. The regular opponents tend to know that. Only slow-play when there is a good specific reason, which isn't often. So how many times a year do I flop a set, turn a full house, and NEVER like it enough to bet and am tempted to fold for a single bet?

Raised with TT middle, tight player called, player who I've never seen before who hasn't played a single hand in the three orbits I've been here 3-bets, I call (don't like it), and three of us take the flop. Hope to flop a T.

Flop is AKT. We check, Villian-of-the-premium-hand bets, I call, other calls. I hope he's got AK. Turn is A. Hope diminishes. We check, he bets ... I'm tempted to toss it, but he involuntarily swallows. I call, other calls. River is 2, we check and call. He's got A8s, other has AJ. I take the pot and feel like a jack-ass.

- Louie

Not sure where the biggest mistake was, but I think it must have been in profiling him wrong.
Old 11-01-2004, 01:45 AM

Default Re: Couple times a year..

[ QUOTE ]
Hope diminishes. We check, he bets ... I'm tempted to toss it, but he involuntarily swallows. I call, other calls. River is 2, we check and call. He's got A8s, other has AJ. I take the pot and feel like a jack-ass.

[/ QUOTE ]

A few years back I propped with a guy who years before sort of dominated the mid limit games aroun LA but eventually he got weaker and tighter and more and more afraid to get involved (not good if you prop short handed). When he was running bad (which seemed like always) he would quip "I can't swallow". Eventually, people would start greeting him by asking "Can you swallow?"

He would have checked the river so he couldn't have been the same guy [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

~ Rick