Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-14-2005, 03:58 PM

Default Re: check up

[ QUOTE ]
hi Duck,

honestly, limping with AT offsuit and then calling a raise heads-up from someone who has position and a not-very-deep stack is just not very profitable IMO - it's weak....depending on how the table has been reacting to your aggressive image, sometimes raising this might be okay....but really, I don't think you lose by just tossing this hand in the muck....especially if you've been running bad, why not tighten up a little - it tends to make decisions a lot easier and is something I like to do when I've been taking it on the chin......the flop/turn play is great and very sophisticated and perfect for situations completely unlike this one - I like saving it for when you're deeper and running good and have position and a slightly different image and have a good read on your opponent....

[/ QUOTE ]

even though i disagree w/ parts of this; it is awesome advice.
Old 12-14-2005, 04:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think you lose by just tossing this hand in the muck....especially if you've been running bad, why not tighten up a little

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I like saving it for when you're deeper and running good

[/ QUOTE ]

You are aware that how one runs should not affect how one plays, right?
Old 12-14-2005, 04:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I don't think you lose by just tossing this hand in the muck....especially if you've been running bad, why not tighten up a little

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I like saving it for when you're deeper and running good

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree. How one runs affects how others perceive one. Many of one's plays should be based on others' perceptions of one, especially when one's fold equity is in question.
Old 12-14-2005, 04:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think running well/bad is overlooked in this forum. It definitely affects your confidence in making marginal plays.
Old 12-14-2005, 04:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think running well/bad is overlooked in this forum. It definitely affects your confidence in making marginal plays.

[/ QUOTE ]

Right, it does. But it shouldn't. Always playing your "A" game means you can make moves when losing. When I notice myself playing pots like I don't want to lose them, I pikc up.
Old 12-14-2005, 04:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I could not disagree more. How you're running affects your play HUGELY in NL esp when it comes to your own confidence and how you are precieved by your opponents.
Old 12-14-2005, 04:41 PM

the only thing i can really say about this hand is that i don't like limp-calling the ATo there.

the turn is close cuz the stacks aren't that deep so you can't really judge for sure how great your FE is.
Old 12-14-2005, 04:46 PM

I think all streets were played incorrectly.

You say you limp but didn't mention position. If you are UTG this should be in the muck after that if you choose to play it, raise. The you called a raise OOP with a hand that is so easily domiated and needs a flop like KQJ.

On flop I would totally discount my A as an out so you do not have implied odds to chase gutter. Against a shortish stack you also lose turn FE to make a move.

On the turn, if my math is correct he has to fold here 67% of the time to make this move profitable and I think that is asking a lot when he is getting over 2 to 1 and you have an aggro image. I also think you get nothing in terms of implied odds so either weak lead or muck the turn.

So I would say fold, fold, fold, and then fold for your 4 decision points.
Old 12-14-2005, 04:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I could not disagree more. How you're running affects your play HUGELY in NL esp when it comes to your own confidence

[/ QUOTE ]

SHOULD not and DO not affect how one plays are two different concepts.

[ QUOTE ]
and how you are precieved by your opponents.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think people overstate the significance of this. If you start tilting then how you've been running becomes obvious. If you just lose a couple buy-ins and don't go crazy, people almost always fail to pay attention to you-they have anywhere between 5 and 40 other opponents to worry about. Also, fslexcduck's running bad has probably been spread out over many tables and thus has not drastically affected her table image.
Old 12-14-2005, 05:33 PM

FF,

I disagree almost completely with you, except for the part where you should try to play your A-game no matter what.

People make way more moves when you're losing and make way more bad folds when you're winning and have a big stack.